Any 1100 rear M/C upgrades to be had?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inquiring mind...random thinking.

The m/c on my 83 works best just after its bled. Seems I have to do this periodically . I notice the pedal going farther the less use/longer it sits. It has been siting about a year now (busy) and the pedal is no where close to normal. It stops with the back brake engaged but I have to push farther.

I don't see any leaks, its not spongy, what is up? Would an upgraded M/C be the ticket?

Anybody swap one out of a more modern sport bike or somesuch?

I know the front brake does most of the work, but the 83 has linked brakes and it just doesn't stop well without both.

thanks,

Pman.

I know brake fluid expires fairly fast..think it is a year shelf life on unused DOT3, a year plus however long it was changed last would be worth changing it out to see ..a full bleed and flush just the cup is not enough....not sure whats been tried on the mods..remember guys using a 1500 rear but think you would need to separate the linked system to do.
BTW check the expiration date when you buy new bottles, parts stores let them sit till sold sometimes.

Have never looked for an expiration date on brake fluid. :nea: If the container was kept closed up, any unused was brought into the house come winter, was then used later when needed. :good: It absorbs any moisture, caused from condensation. That is why it turns dark if left out in an unheated place in cold weather, :yes: even in a sealed unopened container, it's already absorbed all the moisture it can. :roll:

Are the rules set in stone , I don`t know ....But once it leaves the bottle certainly the clock starts ticking, just looked at a bottle on my shelf and it was 2/4/2011, obviously I have problems.

That's a good point I never considered. You'd never get the air out if using aged fluid.

On my 83, I tried rebuilding the rear MC but the cylinder wall was too corroded. It would pump up but have no pressure in the morning, so I modded in an GL1800 MC. It works great with our linked brakes. Pedal is high and firm.

Dan,
I think I'll put a 1800 m/c on the list of upgrades. I looked at some on ebay and the space they would occupy....looks tight. I saw the ngw discussion and will review that. Any tips or tricks I should keep in mind? thanks

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197071#p197071:31c598g8 said:
Pony Ruiz » 43 minutes ago[/url]":31c598g8]
Dan,
I think I'll put a 1800 m/c on the list of upgrades. I looked at some on ebay and the space they would occupy....looks tight. I saw the ngw discussion and will review that. Any tips or tricks I should keep in mind? thanks
It was a bit tricky fitting into my 83. I’m barely a fair fabricator but I managed it using a 1/8th inch or there abouts piece of bar stock steel as an adaptor, some washers as shims, and bolts. Once mounted I had to have a brake line made, banjo to compression $40. Think I have pics in my gallery album.