Spring/Clamp on drive shaft

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you take your engine out of the frame DO NOT FORGET to put the round spring on the drive shaft boot, when reinstalling the engine.

I have now done this.
What can any one recommend to keep the drive shaft boot in place?

Joe,

Is that an OEM item?

The drive shaft will not go back far enough to completely separate.
That is the last piece to come off when the engine is removed from the frame.
And first to go on when installing.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197053#p197053:39rx8aux said:
wilcoy02 » 1 minute ago[/url]":39rx8aux]
Joe,

Is that an OEM item?

The drive shaft will not go back far enough to completely separate.
That is the last piece to come off when the engine is removed from the frame.
And first to go on when installing.
Hmm.
How about if the wheel is in the air while on center stand. Will the drive shaft pull back further? Or maybe if shocks are unbolted so tire will drop further?

Well for sure if you pull axle and loosen final drive you can get spring on ...after doing this about 5 times in a row ..I decided zip tie was fine ....on hooch the boot is fasten on with home stainless steal tie wire and the joint is turn to where it can’t be seen ....come off and bad on easy ...on 1200 final it and impossible nightmare at this point to spring on ...your lucky to be dealing with a 1100 final....

Take a real close look at that spring. Someplace it was connected to make it a circle, so what went together should come apart. If it isn't easy to find...

Joe nailed it... or zipped it. Use a zip tie and wrap it around and worry about it the next time you pull the motor.

Zip tie is the easiest. Joe I still need the oem part number for it.

May have to pull the engine as I got it running this afternoon and it has a knock. Idles really nice. Rev it and the knock goes up. Can't ride it yet as no radiator installed.