Knock in 2 engines

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a knock in the original engine. I could not find it and I rode it any way. After about 500 miles the engine gave up the ghost.

I had changed the timing belts, synced the carbs, and gapped the valves. Did not help it died

New engine -I had changed the timing belts,(using the marks on the cam wheels on TDC 1) synced the carbs, and gapped the valves ( using the 4 thousands intake and 5 thousands on the exhaust as the manual describes).

I have the same knock.

What am I doing wrong?????

Hmmmmm gee....it could be both engines are not good ....when youbthe first motor gave up what did it do .....if I knew that I might be able to make a better answer to things ....all the work you did was on the top end of the motor ...if you did something way wrong should be able to see it with the heads off ...

Gave up the ghost as in...threw a rod? Seized up? Cranked, but refused to start?

I worked on an '82 that I thought was knocking, but it turned out to be a small hole where the exhaust headers are joined together. It sounded exactly like a loose valve, drove me crazy! I accidently found the hole when looking at photos to add to my gallery collection. Took it to a muffler shop for a quick spot weld, and...silence!

Hopefully, yours isn't a major issue!

The first engine started to have a rattle of metal going thru a shredder. After I turned it off. It started with all the racket.

Thankfully I did get a warranty with this engine- But 2 engines sounding the same? A hole very well might explain it.

You know- now that I read this - I do remember a hole in the mufflers where you indicated.
Your description is what I am hearing.

I will check that out tomorrow.

Thank You.

Wow, my first engine was taken out of service due to a knocking noise before it failed...maybe I gave up too soon. As i did all the work you did, it kept getting better in ways others than the knocking noise. I assumed that with 120k miles and a somewhat questionable appearance it was just worn out. Maybe I should run it again and look for others issues.
Fingers crossed on your situation...it would be super bad luck to have 2 in a row go sour.

your using the "UP" mark for cam timing..there are also arrows some would call a timing marks but don`t belong in the up position...just saying.

We took the belts off, Loosened the springs on the cams,and put the original coils back on.
We both followed the manual and both looked twice before we did anything. Moved something and we both looked to double check everything.

We went to sync the carbs -- started it up and it ran sooo smooothly and quiet. NO KNOCKING!!!!!
I will put it all back together and ride it down the road.
Then I will replace the fuse box with a box from an 84 1500.
If that goes well then the c5 gets installed.

The guy I got the engine from said if it does not run right he would refund my money..
The engine that died . I was about 10 miles from home and it started to make a very unpleasant sound. I turned around and headed for home. Got about 2 miles and at full throttle I could only go 5-10 mph. Had it towed the 5 miles back home.

I am a very happy camper right now. I can see me riding a bike again after 2 months with out a ride.

Great to hear you are back in the saddle! :party:
I have two questions. What is the benefit of a fuse box from a 1500? 2. What do you think was causing the bad noise in the second engine? Was it a hole in the exhaust, a missed timing mark, or something else?

Currently I have the original fuse box and I added a second box for my additions-Lights, Heated gear, Radio w/ 12 cd player, GPS ETC...

I have an 84 1200 fuse box as it has 2 extra spots for my added toys. It looks like it will fit. I want to replace the 1100 box as it is glass fuses and I want blade fuses. Plus the 1100 looks like it has heated up more than once.

The knock in the second engine had to be timing not correct. It went away once we took each step very carefully by the book.
The only thing we did not do was a compression check as we did not have the correct connection to do it. Was planning on doing it but now it runs so smooth and quiet now we won't.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197484#p197484:3jcxynzc said:
wilcoy02 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:55 am[/url]":3jcxynzc]
I have an 84 1200 fuse box as it has 2 extra spots for my added toys. It looks like it will fit. I want to replace the 1100 box as it is glass fuses and I want blade fuses. Plus the 1100 looks like it has heated up more than once.

The knock in the second engine had to be timing not correct. It went away once we took each step very carefully by the book.
The only thing we did not do was a compression check as we did not have the correct connection to do it. Was planning on doing it but now it runs so smooth and quiet now we won't.

Thanks for the info, that's great news! I guess I need to revisit my engine knock, I was just about to separate it into usable spares!