Replaced engine in 83 wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the engine on a GL1100.
It had a knock when first started.
Timed and sync everything and now it purrs like a kitten.

Took the bike off the lift today and was going to take a first ride with this engine.
Got all geared up with engine running.
Climbed on and pulled the clutch in and shifted. Neutral light went out.

I was ready to roll.

Let out the clutch and nothing. Did not move an inch.
Clutched and shifted but nothing happened.

Let the nuts on the clutch cable out and readjusted.

I have no idea where to look now. It will go nowhere. The neutral light comes on and off while shifting and the purple light on the tach comes on and off to show you are in high gear.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Wow... this makes no sense ....I wonder what’s going on here ...I’m thinking like dan shaft not connected ...does the clutch feel like it’s working ..like has tension on it when pulled ...if so time to pull the boot back and see what going on there ...I suppose the output shaft shock drive could be broke totally and not turn out put shaft ..I’ve never heard of one going out though ...put bike on centerstand and see if rear tire will turn if bike is in gear ...motor not running

I did put the circlip on. Isn't it supposed to keep the drive shaft in place?
The drive shaft can not come out as it is the first thing to line up when installing the engine.

Will put on ctrstand tomorrow and check the tire.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Check the clutch adjustment on the rear of the engine, thru the adjustment hole. I had mine just a wee bit too tight once and it slipped pretty bad.

The circlip holds the U-joint to the output shaft. It is possible for the driveshaft to not be in the U-Joint, but you would hear the U-joint thumping around in that case. I would look more at the clutch or a broken output shaft (very rare).