83 valve cover

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had oil leaking out of the valve cover. I bought new seal. Still leaked.
I discovered the bottom bolt would not tighten. It gets to almost tight and it lets go.
I tried 3 different bolts and they all did the same thing.

I am guessing the threads are stripped at the end.

Any suggestions on how to fix the threads?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198016#p198016:2nz8gg7m said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:35 am[/url]":2nz8gg7m]
I had a stripped valve cover bolt hole in my '81 engine. I used Helicoils to fix it. Worked great!
+1 on helicoils :good:

OK I will go the Helicoil route.
Looking at Helicoils Which one should I get?
The Honda oem number for the bolt is 90018-371-000 6 x 63.2

I went to napa and bought a 6mm- 1.00 Metric tap Took the bolt to get the right size.
What threads are needed?

Could someone please show me which coil to get?
I did not realize they were so expensive for one. All I have seen is for a box of several with the tool.

We have mobile guys that do one offs but I would recommend that you buy a complete kit in 6mm as you will find that it is a pretty common size to strip. They will last forever and you may be able to reduce your costs by doing some for others for a fee.

Know what you mean, they are pricey but work great.

It hasn’t been mentioned I don’t think. Likely the reason it’s stripped is someone tried to tighten it further than the “stop” on the bolt thinking that would stop a leak, so be careful to only tighten down to that stop. If that doesn’t stop oil leak then you may need new cover grommet seals. Those are what gets enough pressure on the cover to seal the outer gasket.

I just replaced the valve cover seal and the 8 cover grommet seals. Even put some gasket sealer around the one valve cvr seal.

Took it for a 30 mile ride and had oil on the right boot. More than a drip..

Oil on the right boot is often the tachometer drive seal (backside of the fuel pump). As it leaks, it can often look like a valve cover leak.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198028#p198028:1sazuf30 said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:04 pm[/url]":1sazuf30]
Wes, when I get a chance to get home I will look up the ones i used. They came in a kit with all of the tools needed for installation.
Finally got a chance to look. It is the Helicoil kit for M6-1 threads.

M6-1 purchased today.

I now see why they send 12 coils to a pack.
The burgered up hole was replaced eazy peezy.
While I had the drill and everything out, I decided to do the other hole. It was a little more difficult.
So why not do the third hole? Well I did and used about 4 coils to get it right.
4th hole forget it it works ok.

Overall heli-coils are great.

Put it all back together. Ran the engine to get the fan to run. What do you know? The damn leak is still there.
I can see the oil oozing through the seal on the cvr. It is a new seal, and after the third attempt I started using gasket sealer around it.

I only have 6 days of good riding weather --in the high 50's until next Thurs when temps go to high of 32.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198150#p198150:10e9tvdh said:
julimike54 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:01 am[/url]":10e9tvdh]
I've read somewhere of chromed covers (aftermarket) having a leaking problem. Hope that's not the situation!
I had a set of them and they dripped. They leak because Honda OEM valve cover seals do not fit correctly. You have to have the aftermarket seal.

image.php

Isn’t there a seal under the bolt head. I know on Subaru’s if that is old you don’t get the right amount of compression on the gasket.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198163#p198163:2ga0ywgp said:
Ansimp » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:44 pm[/url]":2ga0ywgp]
Isn’t there a seal under the bolt head. I know on Subaru’s if that is old you don’t get the right amount of compression on the gasket.
There is. Even with the seals replaced and a new cover seal (Honda OEM), it still leaked. The Honda seal pinches at the bend for the cam and cannot seal. The old aftermarket seal also does not fit Honda OEM covers. I just replaced mine with the original Honda Valve covers and no leaks!

I went to the old oem Honda cvr from the blown engine. I have replaced the rubber under the cap for the screw.
I used my other new seal on the oem cvr. Small leak occurred again. Took cvr back off again and put some gasket sealer around the seal. Packed up the tools and went in the house.

Will see if it leaks in the morning.

Is there any difference with the Aspy engine vs the interstate engine?