Clutch Lever Pull to Start

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is a way to get around the fact that I have to pull in the clutch lever in order to start the bike. Thought I saw something about this at some point, but can't remember where. I know I don't want to try to start it in gear, but it would be nice to bypass that "feature". If not, life goes on.

Is there not a clutch diode on the '82 1100? Did some looking. Found this on the SS site: on the main harness from the left front of the airbox to just behind the steering stem. It will be a small rectangle taped up inside the harness. On the GWDocs site: diode mounted to the left side of the frame, underneath the false tank, near the turn signal flasher. It has failed.

Here is a picture of what you may be looking for:
GL1100 Diode.jpg

Hope this helps. Cheers

You are correct, but I made the expectation that Jack was mentioning this issue because of starting in neutral - should have asked the question first - is this when you start in neutral? Pulling in on the clutch lever if in gear is how the circuit is supposed to work.

Cheers

A post on (GWD) It could be the lever itself if worn or an after market, there are 2 switch's in the clutch the second one is when the lever is fully engaged or pulled in - it isn't making contact- one fix listed was they glued a shim on the plastic contact (shim was made from a pop can) this gave it enough to engage the switch.

Now my '82I does not require that, at least, in neutral it doesn't.

But the ability to start the bike in gear following an embarrassing stall at a light is most likely accomplished with the same diode thingy.

I think I'd want to keep that, instead of fighting to find neutral.

I do know this though, when I got deep into my electrics a few years ago, I found they where as much '83 as they where '82.

Had to use both drawings and interpolate the two, to get anything done.

But kudos to Honda, they did stay faithful to the wire colors of each drawing.

Otherwise I'd have ended up with a real mess.

I've seen that diode before but I never investigated it. Next time I have to take it all apart I'll check it out, but it seems to be working. I will probably go ahead and connect the wires at the clutch lever.

When I start it in gear and it is laying on my leg I'll yell out "DAMN YOU DESERT REFUGEE"!
:smilie_happy: