Wanted 81 rear caliper

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingd

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a decent rear caliper for 1981 gl1100. One without a stuck piston like my original. I have a rebuild kit on hand but can't get the piston free.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sorry I do not have a caliper but would like to suggest making an adapter so you can use a grease gun to pressurize the caliper you have and pump the piston out. This is the method we used in the shop and cannot remember not being able to get a piston out.

Yeah I haven't really worked on it much but did get the piston to go in a 32th of a inch or so with a bench vise. I was going to try some heat from a heat gun and try to work it out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Remove the bleeder and install a grease fitting. Plug the brake line bolt hole and pump in the grease. It will pop out.

I have always found the bleeder thread size is much smaller than zerk (grease) fittings (except for some trucks). For brakes with banjo fittings I have made adapters that mimic the banjo (same thickness and hole size) and have a zerk fitting installed perpendicular to the banjo bolt (see sketch). I also have adapters where I have used a bolt with the same thread as the banjo bolt or brake line fitting that is center drilled and taped for a zerk fitting. It is amazing all the stuff one accumulates over the years. To sum things up use hydraulic pressure (ie grease gun) to press the piston out.

Attachments

• Adapter.jpeg
    Adapter.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 81
Should be able to unscrew the grease gun end a bit ...and it should fit the bleeder ..then screw it tight and pump grease gun ...I’ve never had it fail to not push piston out ...