Headlight and brake lights

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to a party, 50 miles, away last night on the bike. I went to leave and no headlight or brake lights. Thank goodness I had bright running lights. I managed to only have to stop 1 time to get home at midnight.

Looked this morning and the fuse for the headlight was blown and in pieces. The brake light fuse looked good but I replaced it too.

I have a headlight again but no brake lights. I know the plugs under the seat are good to the back lights.

Any ideas where I should start looking?
:beg: :beg: :beg:

Check the brake fuse for voltage....make sure it powers up with the key on. If the fuse powers up, I'd be looking at the brake switches or bulbs. If it does NOT power up, I'd go for the iggy switch.

1. Check for power on either the front or back brake light switch. No power, fuse is bad.
2. If you have power, move to the rear of the bike and check the brake light ground wire. Make sure the brake light ground (green wire) has continuity to frame.
3. If you have continuity, apply brakes and probe for power at brake light. If you have power at light socket, bulb is bad.
4. No power at bulb. You have an open in the wiring between the switches and the light fixture.

Good luck. These things can be a nightmare to find, but an easy fix afterwards.