Fan switch video (running a Geo Metro thermoswitch)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
Hello , I have a video of the fan kicking on, the fan runs almost exactly 1 minute the first time before it kicks off, 1:33 seconds the second time, It's a Geo metro fan switch and it comes on just over halfway, just wanted to show... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd8SZKxGyOQ I plumb forgot how to take off the address or what to take of on the Youtube..sorry Please place this where you wish.. :Egyptian: Bike is really loud because of the belt covers being off and the alternator..

Dan I got this fan switch back in 09 and I wrote down the number [TFS591] from advance auto, it looks like auto zone has these for 216 degree rating, that's what you want...[94 geo metro xfi] if you are doing this mod, Special order I'm sure..There are many sources out there fellas I just wanted to show how the fan cycles on and off..And also ask you if you can time yours and get me an idea if this cycle well or like the oem one does, seems like it does well..My wind deflector mod, has really helped alot in this heat, it was 98 degrees when I tested the bike in this video so the cool it is the less cycle time..80 degrees and it will cycle off in about 30 seconds or so.. My bike has never gone past 3/4 no matter how hot it is out..I was bored so I made a video..

Good video there beave on the fan switch. I wish that mod would work on 1200's but it won't, the 1200 has a larger threaded end that screws into housing and I never could find a metric bushing to adapt it so I used your procedure to just rebuild the one I had. I also watched the one on your drive-on platform. Great idea. Getting it off the floor sure helps when your working on them. :good:

1200's threads are not 18mm ? I didn't know that...I wonder what the thread size is on those...???

I didn't have a thread gauge to measure it with but all the known listed switches for interchange I could find including the 591 you used just fell into the housing cover. I ordered in four or five different switches and all were to small, and researched about 10 others, so I just fixed the one I had. Wait a min. that might have been the switch I couldn't get and they kept cross it over to other brands. I know the one I have measures 18mm OD and all the ones i tried had 16mm OD.

I'm going to order the one from auto zone to test it out...MT1373 just because... ....Look this one up...

Backlander hang tight brother man, I just got back from ordering this very fan switch from Autozone , it will be in by 3 pm tomorrow at which time I shall retrieve it and install it on my motorbike and I shall video tape again using this fan switch... so hang in there and I shall help..I will tell you or show just when the fan kicks on...okkkk....I will be your personal tester...

I appreciate all your doing beave but you got a 1100 and I got a 1200, so I was wondering if you could measure the OD and tell me what it is on one that fits the 1100. I know the 1200 OD on threads is 18mm top of thread to top of thread. I believe the 1100 is gonna be around a 16mm measured the same way. Can you measure one of your many switches that you know fits your 1100 without tearing your bike down. I'd hate for you to go to all that trouble cause I fixed my original switch.

Here's the difference I'm talking about beave. The original 1200 is on the right, all the replacements I found in all the articles on cross overs for converting to automotive came up like the smaller threaded one on the left. Even the articles on 1200goldwings site said they would work but they won't work on mine, I tried them.
IMG01254-20120808-1352.jpg
I guess I got a weird-o bike or sumpin. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Attachments

• IMG01419-20120913-1254.jpg
    IMG01419-20120913-1254.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 820
Mike the aftermarket switch should be 18mm if it's not its probably the temperature gauge switch which is on the backside, I have never taken that off but being this happens alot to guys I think the folks at the auto parts are keying in the wrong switch...You want the fan switch...here it is...I measured using a outside caliper, and a mm ruler...View attachment 1 Maybe someone can mesure the temerature switch and tell me if it's 16mm, I bet it is...Oem is the same 18mm, I have messed around with these switches for a long time, experimenting modifing ect...I never did pull the temp one though..No need to.. :clapping:

That one is not for a geo metro...That looks like a fan switch with 16mm threads :shock: , is that what you got, it's wrong....Send it back....What in the World, 1000, 1100 and 1200 all use a 18mm threads to the fan switch....I have no idea what that switch is to.. That's nothing like my geo metro switch..Mike tormorrow I shall take photos of my Auto zone one...Yeah that switch ain't right, any metro switch 94 model will have 18mm threads gotta have the pigtail plug in to it though..the yellow switch in this photo kicks on too soon, needed a higher temp switch so 216 is what I have now and it's perfect I'm getting a new one tomorrow though..I want to say 100% that the new switch is the one somebody wants if they go this route...

Backlander hello sir, as promised I got my fan switch and installed it it kicks on right at the half mark and cycles off just like the other one in the video, same running time and all...I then want to compare to the oem switch so I installed it and it kicks on exactly where the aftermarket one kick on..1/2 way....So being thats normal operating conditions are below 1/2 I'd say this is perfect.....Here are some photo's, oh my old aftermarket switch kicks on over half, its about 5/8 on the gauge before the fan kicks on,,comes on later than oem switch..but then new one is perfect..View attachment 2View attachment 1

That's good news littlebeaver, and thanks for all your trouble, you went above and beyond the call of duty, :thank_you: I will order me up one of those mt1373. Again, Thanks.

Backlander it will fit fine [18mm], if you can find a 94 geo metro at the junk yard pull the pigtail off to use it, also there is another fan switch on that same page, that one will come on about 3/8 the way up that's just too soon....216 degrees is the one you want..Glad I could help sir..I took a video but for some reason youtube won't upload it like it did all the others... :headscratch: It's just like the other video anyway..

backlander":24s4tnpv said:
That's good news littlebeaver, and thanks for all your trouble, you went above and beyond the call of duty, :thank_you: I will order me up one of those mt1373. Again, Thanks.
I just checked advance auto parts they have the better switch it comes on 5/8 on the gauge its for the geo Metro XFI, TFS 591 it's the one I had on my bike for so long...either one will work fine..https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... Assigned=1

Hey 1100 guys, when does your oem fan switch kick on while it's getting warm at a light on your gauge? Mine was at half straight up when I put the old oem switch on...

littlebeaver":1gjr7bpu said:
Hey 1100 guys, when does your oem fan switch kick on while it's getting warm at a light on your gauge? Mine was at half straight up when I put the old oem switch on...
Mine is about 3/4