Fork Seal Replacement, et al.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumunga

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I posted the following as a reply to BigAndrew, plskthompson1, and Omega Man concerning leaking fork seals. Dan saw this and asked me to repost it here. Don't be afraid to replace those fork seals, it's not too hard. Anyway, here's the post (I've edited it a bit for brevity:

~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh man, the fork seals are pretty easy to replace. After messing mine up by installing them upside down, I have it pretty well down pat. Here's what I posted on goldwingdocs.com concerning the forks. There's a link in here too, with pictures:
~~~~~~~~~~~
I've replaced the seals on my GL1100. It's not that hard of a job, but if you're replacing the seals, I would go ahead and replace the bushings as well (1 sleeve and and 1 bushing on each fork). I bought mine from mrcycles.com. They have a microfiche there you can use to look up parts for your bike. It's the same microfiche they'll use at the dealer.

The part number for the bushing is 51414-463-003, and the part number for the sleeve is 51415-463-003.

While you're at it, there are a couple of o-rings on the hose at the top of the forks. I would replace them too. I just found a couple that fit I had lying around and used them. If needed, there are 0-rings at the for the caps at the top of the for forks as well. I don't have the part number for those (I'm too lazy to look them up again) but they're on the microfiche as wellNo problems. Again, it's not that difficult if you're familiar with your toolbox! ~~

Shoot, while you're at it, might as well slap some progressive springs in there as well. You won't have to run air in the front shocks anymore, unless you want to, and they'll only set you back about $80 or so shipped to your door.

I believe I'm an expert at it now {still snickering after that one} since I've replaced the seals on the right fork 2 times (after installing the first replacement seal upside down) and the seal on the left fork one time, replaced the bushings in both forks, and installed progressive springs. It took me about 3 hours from start to finish. I probably could have finished a little quicker, but had to make a couple runs to the hardware store for tools and pvc pipe.

Here's a link to the instructions I used:

https://www.kichline.com/chuck/GoldWing/ ... efault.htm

I lifted my bike with a floor jack, and put a car stand under each engine guard close to the front of the bike. Nice and solid, and you shouldn't have to strap the bike up like his instructions say.

He says you don't have to pull the forks in his instructions, but I think it's easier with the forks off, plus once you have the tire and fender off, the forks come off the bike pretty easy, Loosen 4 bolts (1 on the upper part of the triple tree, 2 on the bottom, and one where the fairing weight mounts to the fork tube). Make sure you put the seal in with the writing on the seal facing the top of the tube. It will leak like a sieve if you put it in upside down. Tap it down easy with pvc pipe. I lubed my seals with ATF to help with the installation.

Good Luck!

:salute: Hey thanks for te advice... By changing to progressive springs will i still be able to add air in there to stiffin them up?

I'd like to change them out cause mine will only hold air for about an hour but i would hate if they were too stiff or too soft

Im assuming that by my forks being really low on oil that it makes my shocks run out of air alot quicker... Does anybody know that for sure?

BigAndrew":2l0ubq3z said:
:salute: Hey thanks for te advice... By changing to progressive springs will i still be able to add air in there to stiffin them up?

I'd like to change them out cause mine will only hold air for about an hour but i would hate if they were too stiff or too soft

Im assuming that by my forks being really low on oil that it makes my shocks run out of air alot quicker... Does anybody know that for sure?

I don't run air in mine, and they seem stiff enough, even with the fairing on there. Dan says he runs his with a little air in them to stiffen them up a little more.

I don't know about the fluid and the air. If I were a guessing man, which I am, I would guess that the less fluid you have in the shock, the more air you can put it, therefore, the more air that needs to come out. But again, I'm probably wrong because I know nothing about fluid dynamics, except it runs down-hill most of the time. :music:

Omega Man":9rmb39q5 said:
Thanks man, now I can move on to those seals. If I can ace the valve clearance from info here, I know I can do this with your info too. :salute:

~O~

Shoot, this is the first place I came to when I bought my bike. Everything I've done to the bike so far mechanically, I've come here for help. Someone here always knows something...

You do need the correct amount of fluid. The fluid (good old ATF) works to dampen the shock by slowing the spring. (hydraulic pressure working against a mechanical spring) The air further dampens the shock if you will, unless there is too much air put in and it becomes almost hard as a rock. (Kinda like overfilling a tire except there isn't that much rubber to expand in the shocks!)

As an added blurb, the fluid on the forks also acts as a heat-sink/coolant. It helps keep the forks from getting too hot. As a shock(in this case, the forks) moves up/down, it creates heat from the movement of the fluid thru the valving. If your forks are low on fluid, they will run hotter than "normal", since there is less fluid in reserve to keep thing cool. :mrgreen:

tumunga":3v72b0mj said:
I don't know the part number, but I bought mine at Venco Wings LLC. It looks like the price went up a little since I bought mine. $84 for the progressive fork springs. Here's the link to the page:

https://vencowings.com/cgi-bin/miva.cgi? ... ive%3A1102

Thanks mate, I found em in the end on the US site but not on the Australian site :?
Now to see if these folks ship to Oz :cool:

lor109":1q0ddwdx said:
Just thought I'd note that if your looking to buy progressive springs, amazon has them for 61.20 before shipping. Thats about 70 bucks to my door! just placed the order. Tumunga is going to change my seals for me and for that price I might as well upgrade the springs as well!

https://www.amazon.com/11-1102-FORK-SPG- ... 425&sr=8-1

Thats for the front right? That site doesnt give much details
Cant wait to hear your input on them, I'd like to order me a set

lor109":2quejdc4 said:
Just thought I'd note that if your looking to buy progressive springs, amazon has them for 61.20 before shipping. Thats about 70 bucks to my door! just placed the order. Tumunga is going to change my seals for me and for that price I might as well upgrade the springs as well!

Whoa, Amazon.com is selling motorcycle parts? :shock:

lor109":14ovt7n5 said:

Shoot, you oughta see that kick-ass fairing he's giving me for doing it. I will be stylin' and profilin'!! :cool!:

tumunga":1oko7a1p said:
lor109":1oko7a1p said:

Shoot, you oughta see that kick-ass fairing he's giving me for doing it. I will be stylin' and profilin'!! :cool!:

I'm guessing all went well gettin your guts yanked?

lor109":2uxwomjg said:
tumunga":2uxwomjg said:
lor109":2uxwomjg said:

I'm guessing all went well gettin your guts yanked?

Oh yeah, but right now the effects of the anesthesia are wearing off...more drugs please.