GL1100 FRONT FAIRING REPAIR/PAINTING

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auctioneeral

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello
Working slowly on the front fairing.Since it's to cold to work outside for the winter.
The fairing had a big gunk broken off the right side were it mounts to frame. So I been working on it.
Plus pulling the junk radio out and all the micky mouse wiring in the fairing and switches. I been using
ABS cement and small sheets of ABS. That stuff works great. I'm going to paint the fairing,tank shield,fenders,side cover's,
saddlebags and trunk. Of course its going to be rattle cans. I'm thinking of using Krylon Fusion since I read its for plastic.
As anybody painted the drivers side of the fairing. The reason my inside fairing is real dull black and its not cleaning
up with simple green. any suggestions.
I will take any suggestions anybody as. I'm in no hurry.
I will post a lot more in the next couple of weeks due to being bore laying in bed recovering from Mondays 2/2/15 intestine
surgery. Which Dr. states 2 months recovery.

Attachments

• 20150118_135500.jpg
    20150118_135500.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 20150118_135749.jpg
    20150118_135749.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 20150127_182458.jpg
    20150127_182458.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 198
When I redid my rooster fairing, I looked at every thrift store for some ABS piece that was close to the shape that I needed. When I found it (an old VHS tape rack - worked for me), I bought it, cut out what I needed and then used ABS glue and fiberglass material and just kept layering it on - ABS glue was my fiberglass resin. When it dried is was sandable and looks great.

You can buy abs sheets..heat them up in the oven and shape to fit. Then bond in place with ABS cement..sand and paint. I'd sand the whole fairing to remove wax, clear coat and to rough up the surface to take new paint.

Latest posts