GL1200 Final Drive mated to '88-'89 GL1500 Wheel & Flange

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I promise, their is a reason for my out of the box thinking (temporary insanity) in reference to things I want to do down the road. The reason I ask these questions and do research is because often I do not have the parts to compare myself.

This potential mod would allow the easy installation of a 16 in. wheel /tire to the GL1200, making the roll out longer therefor making the bike operate at a slightly lower rpm and help with the eventual disappearance of 15 in. tires.

It also is my understanding that if going dark side on the GL1200, no modification is required on the GL1500 wheel to mount a 16 in car tire on it. I am basing this in part on this article from another site, where 88-89 wheel and flange will work but '90 and later will not because they went to 5 pins at that time.

Open for comments and opinion.

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25817

I'll be putting the 1500 final on the 1200 swing arm to mount the 1500 wheel. This way I know it will fit.

if you have an 84 and i think 85 1200 final the 1500 wheel wont fit ...unless your 1500 wheel is 88-89 and 6 pin you can use the 1200 drive flange on 1500 wheel and it works ... but it appears this is true ....most 1500 wheels are 5 pin 90 and above .....like on my bike ..if i had a 1500 wheel 88-89 6pin icould use that wheel by replacing the 1500 drive flange with the drive flange from the 1200 wheel that on the bike now .....

it appears to me that the 15" car tires are looking as though there going to live longer than the 16" tires that will fit the bikes ...and for sure is a bunch cheaper ...im betting the vw tires stay around long time

This goes along with the GL1200 adventure bike with sidecar project I have going on. The problem I am running into is finding dual sport or more aggressive tread patterns in the correct sizes to go along with the build. With car tires you can get a M&S tread, that's one problem solved for rear tire. #2 is you want the bike sidecar to sit level with decent ground to bike clearance yet not raise the center of gravity to high, so you could go 16 in on all three wheels and help that problem. # 3 is there is no need for a rounded tire on a sidecar rig because there is no lean to contend with which leads to # 4, going to a car tire on the front also. That's the plan I'm working on, to see if it's possible, which also eliminates the need for carrying different size spare tires, one size would fit any location needed in case of tire problems.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155068#p155068:2xbxce6o said:
backlander » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:05 pm[/url]":2xbxce6o]
This goes along with the GL1200 adventure bike with sidecar project I have going on. The problem I am running into is finding dual sport or more aggressive tread patterns in the correct sizes to go along with the build. With car tires you can get a M&S tread, that's one problem solved for rear tire. #2 is you want the bike sidecar to sit level with decent ground to bike clearance yet not raise the center of gravity to high, so you could go 16 in on all three wheels and help that problem. # 3 is there is no need for a rounded tire on a sidecar rig because there is no lean to contend with which leads to # 4, going to a car tire on the front also. That's the plan I'm working on, to see if it's possible, which also eliminates the need for carrying different size spare tires, one size would fit any location needed in case of tire problems.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Might need to use the forks to determine tire width if you want to keep all tires the same. I think that may be the smallest of spaces.

Thought about that V, going to look at adapting a rear wheel to run as front wheel, lots of variable to work with on the front. If that won't fit I can build a leading link style front forks and allow for extra width.

Should be a 16" front wheel available. Easier to adapt from another metric bike than to adapt rear wheel to front I think.

1200's have 16 in wheel on front, I just haven't had the time to see what car tire will fit that OEM rim and if it has to be modified like the 1200 rear wheel to get the bead to seat. I just had an RF ablation on my right leg today, this medical crap has me kind of boxed in at the moment.

Latest posts