Alternator conversion on gl1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197804#p197804:15jjpw4m said:
wilcoy02 » November 18th, 2017, 11:39 pm[/url]":15jjpw4m]
Just click on the link in the thread.

gallery/album.php?album_id=10226 in post #18 by Dan

well i was able to print them after modifying their files and now i can try to find someone to made one for me.
thanks 1000 times
gervais

You could try the KRC 40150340 pulley I think it has a 12 mm bore but you will have,to check with KRC . It is a 3 rib pulley that mates with the 93 geo metro alternator. If you want to use a mini denso alternator with V belt drive RDG UK offers a 4" pulley with 12 mm bore very inexpensive allow about 2 weeks delivery. I purchased the conversion kit from Don Piggot it sells for about 215.00 plus shipping.
Good luck with your project. :wave:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197852#p197852:3k1i3751 said:
Ohara » Today, 8:50 am[/url]":3k1i3751]
You could try the KRC 40150340 pulley I think it has a 12 mm bore but you will have,to check with KRC . It is a 3 rib pulley that mates with the 93 geo metro alternator. If you want to use a mini denso alternator with V belt drive RDG UK offers a 4" pulley with 12 mm bore very inexpensive allow about 2 weeks delivery. I purchased the conversion kit from Don Piggot it sells for about 215.00 plus shipping.
Good luck with your project. :wave:

well
when you are living like me in rural region we may have problems finding parts,competence,,,.
today i when at an wharehouse that buy all sort of surplus all over the province here,i found a V pulley at,,,,,,,,10$ .
the center hole is 5/8 and it has the key way,,
and i baught a bushing that i will insert so i will have the 31/64 i need.

i print the shematic diagramm of the pulley that i add download and showed it a machinist and he will take my 10$ pulley and adjust her at my need for ,,,,,,,,,,,,6 pack of beer!

i will take some pictures

gervais

ps now i must found a little alternator and i have a big 100 amp GM alternator rebuilt here for diesel 3116 engine and never been installed,,i will try too bargain it.

Yeah, it can be done on the cheap (well maybe not as cheap as gervais), but it takes more time and work to source the needed bits. I was in a hurry when I did my 1200 seven or so years ago. This was when Don was still supplying lots of his kits. No muss, no fuss, pay the money and get the bits. I only had to find an alternator, a 50A breaker and the wiring. The ~$200 was worth it to me in avoiding having to do all the running around finding parts - pulleys, spacers, brackets, etc

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=197902#p197902:34ispgao said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 11:04 pm[/url]":34ispgao]
Yeah, it can be done on the cheap (well maybe not as cheap as gervais), but it takes more time and work to source the needed bits. I was in a hurry when I did my 1200 seven or so years ago. This was when Don was still supplying lots of his kits. No muss, no fuss, pay the money and get the bits. I only had to find an alternator, a 50A breaker and the wiring. The ~$200 was worth it to me in avoiding having to do all the running around finding parts - pulleys, spacers, brackets, etc

well when you are retired as i am you must check every $,,,and thats why i am working twice on my project.
i checked the poorman conversion and it is 689 USD and for me it reach almost 900 here and i paid 800 for the complete bike,,,,
so i am doing what i am doing.

no choices
Gef

Here is a picture of the brackets I mad out of 1" angle:
Alt Mod Upper and Lower Brackets 001.jpg
I did mine by sourcing the parts and installing after having read a number of the threads on this subject. Had a local welding shop do the welding I needed.

Cheers

well
i checked today if my 10$ pulley would do and it wont,
i need at least 2.00 inch long center hub and too machine my pulley and i have less then 1.75 so
i am going hunting again for a new one.

winter will arrived next week here,,they are predicted 20 cm of snow so will have time too play on the GW

thanks for the conversation all,
thats great

gervais

Well I don’t have an alternator conversion ...but I do have a pulley mod on my bike ....on mine ..I mounted the pulley. Close to the other one and cut the timing covers out accordingly ....this made it to where there was no radiator mod or push out from stock position ....I did this years ago ...and there no even a pulley there now ...I’ve never had any problems from the rather large hole in the timing covers ....I had thoughts at one time of having a belt driven turbo on my bike ....cost kill the ideal ...but I’m set up for it lol

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197938#p197938:zz0zwy9k said:
joedrum » Today, 5:40 pm[/url]":zz0zwy9k]
Well I don’t have an alternator conversion ...but I do have a pulley mod on my bike ....on mine ..I mounted the pulley. Close to the other one and cut the timing covers out accordingly ....this made it to where there was no radiator mod or push out from stock position ....I did this years ago ...and there no even a pulley there now ...I’ve never had any problems from the rather large hole in the timing covers ....I had thoughts at one time of having a belt driven turbo on my bike ....cost kill the ideal ...but I’m set up for it lol

well i will continue my carburator clean up this week end using the kit i baught online from Sumo but by what i checked it seems
that i have lost my $$ anyhow i will see but i was able to find locally the #40 idle jet and 108 main so i am ok on this side.
i am cleaning my carbs using an Everude stuff for that ,,in spray and ,,,a tooth brush .works great and i clean it using the water here and a air jet from my compressor,,gentle air jet.

it is the way when you are living far from big city,,

thanks again.
my xyl was with me in my garage and we were looking at my envil and we said,,we should have fun travelling with her.

GN
Gervais

well
i just spoked with a friend that is a machinist and knows CNC,
he said that the work need to be done to do 1 pulley will be a lot so it is normal it cost more because i need one,
now i am looking for some info about the RDG UK compagny

gervais

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197954#p197954:31p3olor said:
gervais » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:32 am[/url]":31p3olor]
well
he said that the work need to be done to do 1 pulley will be a lot so it is normal it cost more because i need one,

gervais

I think that you should seriously consider repairing your stock charging system. With led replacement bulbs available it would be easy to reduce your electrical load so that you have enough power without going to a higher powered alternator conversion. If you then use a Mofset regulator the chances of cooking another stator would almost be non existent in the future.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197957#p197957:21mn3121 said:
Ansimp » Today, 5:16 pm[/url]":21mn3121]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197954#p197954:21mn3121 said:
gervais » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:32 am[/url]":21mn3121]
well

gervais

I think that you should seriously consider repairing your stock charging system. With led replacement bulbs available it would be easy to reduce your electrical load so that you have enough power without going to a higher powered alternator conversion. If you then use a Mofset regulator the chances of cooking another stator would almost be non existent in the future.

i am preparing my bike in case ,,
having installed the pulley now is a precaution i want to do,i have the place,the garage and my home made table so at the moment the GW is 28 inch in the air so easy to work on her.

yes i am thinking about the led all around,first will be these 2 big driving light at 55 watts each,,,,,,,,they will go over my pickup truck :) with a 105 amp on this engine

gervais

thanks for the led advise

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197960#p197960:3bmamp50 said:
gervais » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:35 am[/url]":3bmamp50]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197957#p197957:3bmamp50 said:
Ansimp » Today, 5:16 pm[/url]":3bmamp50]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197954#p197954:3bmamp50 said:
gervais » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:32 am[/url]":3bmamp50]
well

gervais

i am preparing my bike in case ,,
having installed the pulley now is a precaution i want to do,i have the place,the garage and my home made table so at the moment the GW is 28 inch in the air so easy to work on her.

yes i am thinking about the led all around,first will be these 2 big driving light at 55 watts each,,,,,,,,they will go over my pickup truck :) with a 105 amp on this engine

gervais

thanks for the led advise
:good:

Latest posts