The Wanderer III

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I will get pics soon. I have almost all of the plastics off and will go through the regular maintenance stuff. I have decided that since I already have a "naked" wing, I will keep everything original on this one. I have always wanted an Aspy for all the right reasons. This is a beautiful bike and it would be a shame to strip it down and keep that way. I managed to check the antifreeze and it was full and nice fresh green, so thats good news. Looks like the po really took care of her. I did find some gravel bits in the fairing, so I'm guessing he went down on some of that. pics coming soon. This is one big bike !!

Here is where I am so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 116
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198497#p198497:di498ips said:
mcgovern61 » 2 minutes ago[/url]":di498ips]
Looks a little uncomfortable right now? Maybe should have saved that 2nd seat? :smilie_happy: :wave: :popcorn:

Good one!

All the wings I've restored, I have always had to remove the gas tank entirely in order to soak and clean it. The Wanderer III is a 1985 aspy. I wish these tanks had plugs on the bottom for easy cleaning might rust develop. This bike has been sitting for 6 years. I guess i could drain the old gas, leave the tank on the bike and pour some rust remover in it, soak for a few days then suck out with a shop vac. Hopefully I won't blow us up !!
thoughts?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198717#p198717:3mf1k80e said:
dan filipi » Today, 2:15 pm[/url]":3mf1k80e]
Don’t use a shop vac. Even though the gas is old, it could still flame up or explode.
Siphon the gas out, or use a safe pump.
okay.
My replacement fairing arrived today. No cracks at all and the color matches :music2: :clapping: :music:
Now I will clean it up and very carefully transfer all the electrics, switches, tach and such over. I really enjoy this type of restoration, especially since the po just gave up and didn't think to give her a second chance.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198729#p198729:12b8vyuu said:
joedrum » Today, 7:37 am[/url]":12b8vyuu]
I envy the projects you have been doing .....great someone is in the groove

This one is for sure going to be a keeper too. The color scheme is one I have always wanted, the model too, now I just need to take my time and do it right. I know the wiring is going to be a challenge. pics coming soon...............

I'm considering taking out my single carb ( vw 34 pic 3) from the gl1100 and transferring to this bike. Since this carb ran rich in the gl1100, wouldn't it make sense to somehow connect the secondary air tubes to this carb (if i can) thus leaning out the mixture on my gl1200.

Okay, the single carb manifold on my gl1100 will not fit the 1200 so I have decided to ship off the stock carbs to Mike Nixon.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198770#p198770:hisv0ixm said:
made2care » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:51 pm[/url]":hisv0ixm]
Okay, the single carb manifold on my gl1100 will not fit the 1200 so I have decided to ship off the stock carbs to Mike Nixon.
:good:

Yes most most SCC aftermarket stuff is made for 1000 and 1100 motors ....if you plan on using 1200 motor in stock form heads and all ...going with stock carbs is no a bad idea....there much better operating set up than earlier years ...but it can get expensive with them ....the stock set up on 1200s is a quite low power set up .... all stock carb for oldwings are way lean off idle ...that’s why they knock and ping so much under load at low rpm ....1200s seem much better off idle than other oldwing stock carbs.... I understand why people stick with them as there are no decent carbs made in today’s world ...just junk epa infected crap that are not even close to being a real carb....but that’s also what I think of the Honda four carb stock set up ...just a joke of carburation in my opinion ....hooch taught me a lot about what real carburation is about ......I’ll never do stock carbs again ...there inefficient waste gas and are sub par to the motors needs ....in my opinion and also way costly for poor operating set up....not worth it in my book .....but I must admit most seem to miss the target goal on SCC attempts ....very unfortunate that there’s not a decent carb made in the world today :cheeky:

I agree about the 1200 carbs. The diaphragm setup is much better and reliable than the slides. Every 1200 I’ve heard starts easy and runs very smooth with none of the spit and pop that’s so common of the earlier slides carbs. 1200 much less temperamental. That’s not to say all slide carbs don’t run good. I’ve heard a few.

Latest posts