Garage find (sorta)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomhusker

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1200
I have an opportunity to pick up an '84 gl1200 that my brother has had for several years. It's been sitting in his garage since 2016 untouched. He said there were no issues when he was riding it, but he just hasn't had it out since then.
There are 22,000 miles on it. These are actual miles, as he got it from the original owner who was his father in law.
I know many garage find have been sitting a lot longer than this one, but what are some things I should be aware of and take care of if I get it?
He offered it to me for $350 if I pick it up, about 350 miles one way. I thought it was ridiculously low. He is getting ready to retire and travel around for a few years and doesn't want to haul it around.

Thanks for any suggestions.

There are going to be things that can mess you up, Murphy ya know.

I would read this if I was you

https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewt ... f=11&t=259

The kind of general things are the gas has to go, everywhere including carbs, drain it all. Make sure you inspect all rubber parts, they're old and cracking, change timing belt before trying to start it, unless you know the date of their last service.

Good Luck :)

$350? Did you bring it home yet???
Without seeing pictures...
Replace the timing belts, clean out the carbs, change ALL the fluids, and see what the motor will do for you. Once it is running, fix whatever needs to be fixed, address the stator connector, take a look at the tires (change if needed), and enjoy. Before trying to start it though, pull the plugs and try to rotate the motor by hand.

They are easy to get back on the road and then keep running. Two years of sitting shouldn’t Have had too much of an affect on it.

Agreed. Low miles, probably well-maintained (one owner?). Sheesh, I'd have been there and back already. You're way ahead of the game if it's as clean as it is unused (i.e. low miles). With a little work, it would make an able touring mount. As it was designed.

Thanks for the input folks! I'm going to pick it up next week sometime. I'll trailer it home. I'll switch out all the fluids first off then a new battery. I think he put new timing belts and fork seals on it when he got it. I'll post up pics when I get it home and cleaned up.