Starter issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusknight

Reaction score
I am trying to determine if the issues I am experiencing with my starter are due to it being caused by the starter clutch or chain being dirty (which can be fixed by adding seafoam to the engine oil) or if it is something else.

My starter starts the engine up right away without issue when I start the bike cold, but if I start it up warm, then there tends to be a few moments of hesitatation. The starter engages but turns very slowly, but the engine will start after a few seconds every time.

A more recent development is now when I hit the starter, almost every time I will press the starter button, I will hear a click with no starter movement at all. But if I let go of the starter and hit it again, then it starts up just fine.

Again I am trying to determine if this is all something related to needing the starter clutch or chain be cleaned or if this is something more with the mechanical condition of the starter. Thoughts?

hmmm sounds starter ... rebuild kits are not that exspensive ...it also sounds like it might be soleniod also ...try doing starter strait from battery and see if it acts differently is what you could do to see if starter is a problem or maybe solenoid or both or something else as in bad connection of some kind ..there old

If it's downhill, for sure. I've had to push-start mine a couple of times...
Just put the shifter in 3rd, and make sure the kill switch is on "Run".

+3 on the starter. Even on the dreaded driveway roll starting can be trying :(

I had to roll start my 86 Aspencade a few days ago; too many hot weather starts and short trips pulled the battery down to where the bike would only click when I hit the starter button. Put it in 3rd, turn the ignition on, get it up to a fast walk and let the clutch out. Kicked right over and I rode it home and put the charger on it overnight. That's not something I look forward to at age 67, but you do what you gotta do.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154984#p154984:3g2ild8b said:
marcusknight » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:28 pm[/url]":3g2ild8b]
Can a person push start a gl1200 if the starter totally fails?
Yes. It's not much fun getting it rolling though.

NEW UPDATE:

One of my biggest problems is that I can never leave a puzzle alone. My current issues on the bike sure qualify. I have noticed some hot wires recently that I think connect to the voltage regulator. I also replaced the battery as two different tests showed it to be shot.

I made a video that will tell you about these problems. I welcome any and all comments about what to do next.

[video]https://youtu.be/jiZhpQI3Hnk[/video]

ok ..your having a charging issue ... i reconise it well ..im having one myself at this moment also ... the reading are the about the same ... but at least yourss dose show slight charging but not much ... id say the starter is fine at moment but wont stay that way if you keep running it in low voltage conditions as you have ...if you have battery tender id have it on this bike when not riding to keep power up ...this will help battery and starter imediately....the hot spot you showed for sure ive had experience here also ...honda has joints in the wiring harnest under there black wrap and id say ..theres one right there ..corroded and heaing up need fixed or it can bleed off in other wires or short out .. all of these things can and do happen ...to me for sure ..ive been there and there again now ... stator could be just about out ... that the stator plug i think right next to the hot spot .... id go after that hot spot first thing to find out whats up :popcorn:

It appears there are loose overheated connections to begin with.

Open up that ball that looks overheated first.
A prior owner may not have soldered them or not very good.

There are 3 connections there.
The same 3 wires lead to the regulator which do also overheat from loose connections.

The stator could be good but those connections must be sound.

So I have cut away some of the fried wiring. I don't see any harness between the regulator and the stator, Except for what plugs directly into the regulator. Big harness there including three yellow wires. My plan is to add some new wiring to fill in the gap between what I have cut away and then neatly solder and shrink tube wrap that. Sound good?

What gives me a little pause is some people say ( and some don't) that for the three yellow wires, one of has a green stripe. When I look at the three wires coming from the regulator they seem all yellow to me.

Does the way you connect the yellow wires together make any difference?

any theories as to why the wiring was getting so hot to begin with? Again, I did not see a connector there which suggested that a previous owner took out the connector. Maybe the fix he did became loose or something? Just trying to make sure the wires do not overheat again once I fix it all up.

Older wiring gains resistance which will lose voltage through heat. I'd replace all the wire between the stator and reg/rec. Wouldn't hurt to go with a little heavier wire.

Latest posts