Charging System Wireing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc_8492

Reaction score
While trying to identify what needs fixing first, I ran across this bundle of melted wires on the right side near the neck. From looking at the diagrams, it looks to be the charging circuit. I have already ordered a new, updated rectifier to replace the current one. What I cannot figure out is what the two little green pigtails are for. Additionally, there are two little red ones that I cannot find the corresponding match for. Does anyone have any ideas that would help? Also, what should I also check from this damage? From what I can gather, teh wires shorted out once before and they spliced the wires directly causing the secondary damage.

1985 GL1200L sorta running at this point

Attachments

• Wireing.jpg
    Wireing.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 508
The regulator/rectifier has two green,two red ,three yellow and a black wire, think they all go to the regulator/rectifier. Looking a little closer it appears that someone has taken some wires from the original connection block and wired them separately. Maybe should consider replacing the whole connector block.

Hopefully wires past block have not been too over heated, & become brittle. :yes: Then you should be in good shape. :good:

Thank all. Looks like I have to rewire part of in at the least. Since they don't make the molex connectors anymore (and they have a bad habit of becoming brittle), any ideas on what fittings to use in their place? The delphi/deutsch are way too expensive (IMO) :shock: :shock:

I also found the post on how to check the stator, which I'll do once I figure out what to replace the connectors with.

You can buy molex connectors off ebay,they arent the honda style but you can make em work

I found Posi-Lock connectors that look like they will stand up to the task of creating a removable connection in case I need to change anything down the road. :beer:

One thing has me stumped though. On the connector there is a little green wire connected coming out of the connector with the larger white wire. What does it connect to? I can't find any wires that match the same diameter. There are also two little red wires, one with each larger red wire that I cannot find corresponding connections to. The green wire also has a small one, but it looks unused (at least that's what it looks like).

The regulator had a charred base, so I ordered another that has since arrived. :)

I want to do this right, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

You can get the OEM style connectors from Vintage Connections: https://www.vintageconnections.com/

I would recommend tracing the wires back through the wiring harness and replacing the charging circuit wires.

The three yellow wires from the stator are direct from the stator to the regulator-rectifier (RR).

The two red/white striped wires from the RR go to the starter solenoid. These wires are connected together in the wiring harness into a single wire going to the starter solenoid, but may also be bonded to the red wire from the starter solenoid in the wiring harness. The red wire comes from the starter solenoid to the ignition switch.

The RR green wires are grounds and are connected together in the wiring harness into a single ground wire.

If there is a black wire coming from the RR, it is a battery voltage sense wire and the RR uses this to regulate the RR output to the battery.

Here is a picture of the 1200 wiring:
gl1200 charge system schematic.JPG

Hope this helps.

Cheers