Hello to all I'm new at this so bare with me

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuck

Reaction score
Not sure what I'm doing here I'm trying to get started not sure if this is the right path to take I'm new to the GoldWing family I just bought a 1985 1200 interstate stored for approx 4 yrs. got it started smoked @ stunk like crazy changed fuel/ filter as well as the oil/ filter now having a hard time to get it to start & when it does it won't stay running it bangs clangs and sounds terrible at times can still smell the old gas so I don't think it's Fireing on all 4 l purchased a new battery but haven't installed yet as I don't want to kill it so using the truck to boast it. Any hints out there as to how to get it running smooth @ steady it ran fine before it was stored in 2013. Help

First, download the user's and maintenance manuals from this site (see the index).
Drain the fuel tank completely with an electric fuel pump.
Fill the tank with fresh non-alcoholic gasoline (if you can find it), other wise use today's regular gas. Add 2-4 ounces of ATF to the fuel.
Drain the carburetors, replace the drain plugs and try to start the bike.
If that doesn't help, pull the carburetors and clean them.

Thanks I will try that I already drained the tk then added aprox 1/2 gal then drained again then added a couple gals of reg. What is ATF

Install the battery as soon as possible, you wil run the risk of compromising running conditions and possible damaging electrical componets by running it off a jump vehicle.

ATF is automatic transmission fluid, preferably Dextron III or similar. It cleans the fuel system about as good as any commercial additive (Gumout, Stabil, Red Line, etc.) and won't hurt the engine.

Thanks for all the tips & I still have the old battery in place it's just dead should I take a chance & install the new battery?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179045#p179045:1dv8ua0z said:
Tuck » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:23 pm[/url]":1dv8ua0z]
Thanks for all the tips & I still have the old battery in place it's just dead should I take a chance & install the new battery?
Yes
:yes:

Welcome to the forums from Washington State! As said earlier, add about 2-3 ounces of atf and give it a whirl. There are lots of threads here about carb maintenance.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Welcome from Southern California! 4 years with old gas will goo up the carbs for sure, and the misfiring caused by the plugged carbs will cause the rattling you hear - the primary chain in the engine bouncing around. Hopefully, the ATF will clean up the carbs. You probably should replace the timing belts as well. Best of luck with the new toy!

+1 on install the new battery. The system needs a stable source of power. You can still use the booster if the battery gets drawn down while you are trouble-shooting the problems; the battery evens out the power pulses from the boosrter

If you boost from a car or truck do NOT run the car or truck until you remove the jumper cables. Bike cannot handle that much power.

Thanks again for all the tips I will definitely give them a shot as well as I will gladly make a donations to this site as it has already saved me some time & money Thanks to all as I'm sure I will have more hurdles as I go. One question I have about the site page although I've checked the box that says to save password it still makes me login in ever time I try to read or respond to the posts ????

Latest posts