Secondary Air System Removal?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
Just a thought: Has anyone tried removing the secondary air system from the 1200 and running without it? The bulky box and hoses on the bottom of the air chamber are a real PITA when removing or installing the carburetor rack.

Well I'm running the 1200 engine with a single carb and put a gasoline grade hose looped to each other and no ill affects I know of so far. Honestly I have no idea where they connect to on the stock rack and what affect disconnecting them would have.

Haven't looked into this yet; however, owned a 2007 Suzuki C90T with the PAIR system. This was a secondary air system as well designed to provide additional air into the exhaust so that the emission standards would be met. As with the query here, a lot of owners took the system off. The biggest plus for removing the PAIR system on the Suzuki was that you got rid of the big piece of chrome cover from the right side of the engine. I never did the removal and even with it on got excellent fuel economy on the highway.

One of the members did it here... I received a set of blank off caps and plugs from him to do it to my 84 1200, but I over-heated it first. Let me find the thread...

For Bronko37: Do you still have the drawings used to make the plugs back in 2015?

If so, would you post them to this topic so I can make sure my measurements are as accurate as possible? :builder:

Thanks

Don't need the drawings after all. My son made four of the plugs for me tonight. I installed them and the card rack an hour ago and the PITA factor decreased significantly. She starts better, but #4 carb still isn't getting fuel to the cylinder because the exhaust pipe isn't getting hot. Got good spark and the carb bowl has gas, but nothing getting into the cylinder. The enricher valve moves, but apparently nothing is getting into the air stream.

I suspect a plugged jet somewhere, but haven't found it.

Found the plugged jet and she runs good. She's a beauty, but I have two other 1200s registered and insured, so she needs a new home. Take a look at Craigslist St Louis if you're interested.

Quick picture
Optimized-86 Rt Side.JPG

Took of carbs to replace choke cable, and decided to plug the secondary air injection system. Took measurements and trying to find a lathe I can turn the plugs on, but those of you that have done this, what have you used?

Is there a part used on non California 1200's that was used? Or is it on all?
If you made you part what material did you use? And do you have dimensions (to compare to mine)?
Did you find another material that worked fine without making the plugs?

Any other ideas, or cautions?

Yeah, I am not expecting any change in performance, just a cleaner install / uninstall. I have a friend whose making the parts for me, he will use what he wants...

Just looking for data to consider. 1' round stock is a great place to start since the originals are .780, though .75 (3/4) probably works fine.

If anybody cares, the bike sold today. However, I also have an 86 Aspy that needs a good home - $2500. Original paint, 28K on the odometer and the original AM/FM/cassette player still works.

I showed both bikes to the buyer; he had a tough time deciding which one to take home. I suggested both, but he finally decided on the Interstate because his wife thought it sat better. Happy wife, happy life. :party:

Now I'm back to working on the 84 trike conversion. The secondary air system will be removed from it also. :builder:

Latest posts