Took my wing apart!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankroche

Reaction score
Took off carbs to replace choke cable, and decided to plug the secondary air injection system. That was yesterday, today It starts here.

So a friend is making me plugs for the spot under the intake "horns" so that is taken care of. Removed the Secondary air box from the bottom of the airbox and decided to thread the hole and plug it with a bolt and RTV.

Choke cable replaced.

So with the carbs out, I decided to look at the gas and vacuum lines, they will be replaced. Gas filter replaced. Slow Air Valve replaced (when it gets here).

Why does the vacuum to the Electronic ignition go into a tee and one side goes 2 or 3 inches and is plugged?

OK, not a big deal but I decided to take out the starter (turns slow when the bike is up to temp) and clean and rebuild it.
Took off the case guards, took off the shift pedal, took off the exhaust nuts (studs), took off the starter and low and behold I have to remove a stud. Thank God it came out easy!

Now have to use impact tool with hammer to loosen the screws on the starter gear case, then used Roybi impact gun to loosen the back screws.

Hopefully all the figiting with the carbs (including syncing them again) will fix myriad leaks in the vacuum lines (37 year old Honda lines) and the last of the coughing will stop.

What I didn't get done was replacing the fan switch.... really didn't want to remove radiator .. that brings up another thing to do while I'm there... Belts!

With carbs out you should be able to get to the fan switch easily but removing it will drain some coolant.

Actually the fan switch is on the other side of a sheet metal guard bolted to the upper front motor mounts, removing the bolts did not free the guard.... Maybe with the engine guards off and the lower mount undone they might drop low enough to remove the sheet metal guard, though it still looks like a difficult location. I think the belt time is the time to do that, but tomoeeow a new day!

yah honda put enough junk in that spot ..to make bleeding hands almost unavoidable ...i removed all that crap on my bike so i can get to things...stock carbs gone ...heat shield gone ...fan gone ..front fan now ...now its all nice and easy to work on LOL ...i need to actually clean my switch up too ...fixing to do a road trip and its time to bring everything up to par ... :BigGrin:

OK, took starter out, pulled it apart and brushes are nearly gone, lot of crud fell out and the front wasn't greased at all.
Put in new brush holder, new brushed, lightly greased rear bearing, greased the front gears, drove out and drove back in a new bushing, reassembled. The rebuild kit had lots of extra parts but no gasket for between the front gear case and the motor! I noticed that the assembly had contact points where thne screws went so I assembled it with those touching, sprayed carb cleaner and when dry put black rtv in there, looks just like a gasket! Put irt in and tried it with the kill switch in the off position... success!

The copper gaskets came in so I attempted to put the headers back on...... not too bad, balance the copper gaskets (2) push up the header, attach one nut and tighten then put them all on, and tighten 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 etc. Then spent about 1/2 hour trying to get the socket head and 14mm nut back in and tight. Then the right side.. took a rubber hammer but got it!

Still have the carbs out but got the plugs for secondary air injection from my friend, just waiting for new o rings for the intake horn and the plugs.

A good day!

Depends on Partizilla, the orings can't be tracked foe 1 week after shipping. I'll never use them again 7.95 for shipping and they sent me an email that they were shipped, click here to track. I did and all it said was a label was made (last thursday) and the said in about a week UI should be able to track it.

I ordered the copper gasket on the night of the 17th, got a track it mail on the 18th, and got them on the 19th, Amazon Prime rules! gonna try and but my parts on Amazon from now on.

OK partizilla o rings came today, according to the dingbat, I can see when I get them on Thursday!

So..
Took the plugs and put the o rings on, and lightly greased them and put them in. Also light greased the o rings for the intake horns, and lightly greased the rubber connectors for the carbs. Attached the choke cable and secured it, tested and found a piece of plastic blocking the enriching linkage, removed it and smooth! Attached the throttle but used some SS 5mm button screws with an Allen head, just looks cleaner.

The carbs are cleaner with the secondary air system removed, and all the holes plugged. Cleaned up the vacuum lines and remover the Charcoal canister and all the vacuum lines used, much cleaner! Placed the carb assembly on the top of the engine and hooked up all 4 horns and tightened them to the intake port. Tightened up the carb clamps, placed the air cleaner middle on the carbs and bolted it down, installed the air cleaner.

Some clean up and then I found it, a yellow wire from the stator connector to the regulator burned off! That the voltage drop I see! Spliced and good to go.

Hooked up my Carbtune and got the carbs the smoothest they have ever been (probably threw away some vacuum leaks).

Tomorrow putting the rest of the Tupperware on and going for a ride.

Not bad took it apart Thursday didn't have the weekend, and got it together and synced Tuesday, OK Wednesday morning!