My 1987 1200 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here it is...

image.php

My plan is to simply take the motor out of it and use it in the 84 then part this thing out.

It isn't bad, but it isn't great. The plastic looks like it is 30 years old and has spent some time outside in the weather, so it has a weathered look. There are a few cracked faring covers, and the right side inner lower cover is broken and held together with zip-ties. Through the years switches and cigarette lighters have been added, so there are more holes than what are needed. The exhaust system is an aftermarket (Jardine) system and it is rusted more than a boat anchor. The rear tire is flat because the valve stem is broken. The stator plug is original and so is the dog bone fuse.

As best as I can tell, the only things that are missing are the right side cover, headlight adjustment knob (appears to have been broken off), mirrors that mount on the fairing (at some point, mirrors were mounted on the handlebars), a stereo bezel, and speaker grills.

The story I got from the shop where I take my bikes to for the state inspection goes like this…

The original owner gave the bike to his brother who is a Harley rider. It had sat for a few years but he was slowly putting the bike back in running order when he got to the rear brakes. He could not get the linked brake system bled. He gave up on the brakes and took the bike to his buddy, the shop owner, that is also a Harley rider. The only thing needed was the linked brake system bled. The shop owner didn’t get to it for quite a while and the owner finally said “forget about it” and he sold the bike to the shop owner. A few weeks ago, I took my 81 in for an inspection and the owner of the shop asked me if I wanted another GoldWing. We started talking and when he told me $500.00 I couldn’t get the money out of my bank account quick enough.

I started it up and the carb started to leak fuel, so a float is stuck, but I know it runs. I didn’t get a chance to check the condition of the stator because of the fuel leak but this turd isn’t that bad. My plan WAS to simply take the motor out of it and use it in the 84 then part this thing out. After looking this thing over and considering everything that I have going on with all three of my bikes, my plans have changed… The days are numbered for the 81.

The first thing I noticed when I started riding the 81 after being on the 84 for a long period of time is the difference in the frame size. My 6’3” body fits on a 1200 frame a lot better than it fits on an 1100 frame.

I am going to go over this 87 and get it roadworthy. What am I going to do to the 87? (mostly written so I have something to go back to and not rely on my memory)
• Remove all the aftermarket electrical components and check the stator condition
• Change all the fluids
• Replace all the tubes/hoses
• Get all the brakes working
• Get rid of the secondary air system from the carb
• Repair/replace all the broken plastic pieces
• Replace the Jardine exhaust with a stock exhaust system
• Replace the dog bone fuse
• Find a pair of OEM mirrors
• Replace the Aspencade windshield trim piece with an Interstate piece
• Wire the trailer wiring harness for a 4 plug system rather than a 5 plug system
• Work on all the rusted chrome
• Recover the seats
• Darkside it!

When I am finished, then the motor that is in the 81 1200 (which is an 84 motor) will come out and go into the 84 Standard. What will happen to the 81?

Get rid of it one piece at a time before it winds up here.
2728DD0500000578-0-Mangled_This_picture_from_Hangzhou_shows_a_stack_of_scrapped_mot-a-68_1427819139450.jpg

Sounds like a great plan Brian. One of these days I had better get stuck into the 1200. :yes:

I woke up Saturday morning with the intention of starting the old girl up and getting the stuck float/s unstuck. It seems the bike had other intentions. It was pissing fuel out of the “Joint Set” on the right side. No matter how much tapping I did, the pissing would not stop.

Fuel Leak.JPG

Something tells me that the corn syrup laden fuel has coated a float valve really good and now it needs to be cleaned. Looks like I am taking the carb rack off sooner than I expected. On a positive note, it starts easily enough but it is idling pretty rich! :smilie_happy:

To get to the carb rack, I had to pull the fairing lowers. While doing that, I noticed that the right side engine guard was actually touching the underside of valve cover. That required a closer look and it appears that it was bent, so I pulled a spare that I had from the ’84 Interstate donor bike from my attic (spare parts are a good thing).

Then last night while watching Rick and the gang stand up to Negan and the Saviors, I started to work on repairing some of the broken Tupperware – Oatey ABS cement for the resin and landscape weed covering mat as the backing material. When it dries, it is almost as good as new, I just need to fill in a large hole where the plastic piece is missing. Then all that will be needed is a little sanding and some painting. Getting the color to match the rest of the faded romany red fairing I fear will be almost impossible, so I may be painting more than I expected.

When I first started looking this bike over, I found a rats nest inside the fairing's left side pocket. Last night when I pulled the air filter cover, I found the rat's vacation spot. (I wonder why I didn't look at that before I started the bike the first time... :head bang: )

I then fought with the carb rack for about an hour to give up its grasp on its resting spot. I am finding that working around the Honda-line fairing is a lot different than working around the Vetter fairing. To get it out, I had to remove the top from the #2 carb which showed me that the needle jets have a lot of build up on them. It was in there for a while and accumulated quite a bit of dirt.

image.php

image.php

After it was out, it was time to take care of the octopus on the bottom side... this thing has to go!

image.php

And it is going to be replaced with this...

image.php

(this carb is the rack that came off of my 84 donor bike which was on the motor in the 1100 frame which does not have the ECU, so that is why that vacuum line is plugged.

Tonight, I open it up and start cleaning...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188922#p188922:27uhccxz said:
joedrum » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:16 am[/url]":27uhccxz]
the battle is on ...stay tough brian im trying too also....

Yeah... to add insult to injury, I hyro-locked the 81 last night also. I have had that bike for 7 years and never hydro-locked it before. Since I went to a single carb, I turn the fuel petcock off most of the times. The one time I did not turn off the fuel petcock and sure as shit I wind up dumping a bunch of fuel into the #4 cylinder. :head bang: It was the perfect condition! Parked on an uphill slope and leaning on the side stand...

It wouldn't be that bad, but the oil and filter has less than 1,000 miles on it!

I absolutely HATE evilbay and their cousin - playpal, but it seems that if you want to get those hard to find parts, it's the only game it town. Who knew that speaker grills cost so :sensored: much!!

What do you do when you break two intake horn bolts in the #1 cylinder Head? If you answered cursed, you would be correct.

After I calmed down, I ground the broken bolts off flush with head surface and started to drill out the broken bolt. The bolts would not come out with an easy out so I grabbed a heli-coil repair kit. M6x1.0 was the size I needed.

image.php

I drilled out the bolts completely and took the holes up to a 1/4" drill bit size.

image.php

Then tapped the holes with the tap provided in the kit.

image.php

Insert the insert into the installation tool and thread it in.

image.php

Thread it in until it is 1/4 to 1/2 a turn below the surface.

image.php

Rotate the tool 90 degrees and knock off the tab, and Bob's your uncle, for $30 I just saved myself a major expense.

image.php

If you think this is a hard thing to do, you are fooling yourself. The hardest part to doing this was getting the drill bit in the center of the broken bolt and resisting the urge to force the easy out. If that breaks off in the hole, you are screwed, so don't force it.

Yeah, it's not the first time I've used one. I just thought it may be helpful to others to see how easy it can be.

It was frustrating because I soaked the bolts in PB Blaster before trying to remove them. They snapped like a twig.

Latest posts