Rear shock leaking again

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusknight

Reaction score
I replaced my rear shock seals about a year ago, now they are leaking again. Looking now at just replacing them with non air or non fluid filled shocks, perhaps mechanical shocks. Anyone have a brand recommendation? 1984 GL1200.

I'm happy with the Progressive 412 shocks on my 83 Interstate. I'm sure they make them for the 1200.

They sell the springs, dampers, seals, & boots to turn your cans into 412 Progressives, for a lot less than the shocks cost, with no air fill changes to make.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190372#p190372:22v9vcpl said:
Denver » Yesterday, 10:04 pm[/url]":22v9vcpl]
They sell the springs, dampers, seals, & boots to turn your cans into 412 Progressives, for a lot less than the shocks cost, with no air fill changes to make.
Could you point me towards "They"? Thanx, Dave

Progressive has all the mentioned parts. Outer springs # 1172-100, inner springs # 1174-200, dust boot # 4050-119,dampers #4051-30, oil seal kit # 30-5041. Ordered them through my shop, but with proper #s, & a good credit card, parts should be shipped. These numbers are for the 1200 shocks, the 1100s could be different.Phone # 714-523-8700 hope this helps, theres write ups here about this subject.

No worries, :nea: if you lived close enough, we could rebuild them in a couple hours or so, some afternoon. :salute:

I have a chance to put on a GL1200 shock from a 1986 Interstate to replace my leaky one. I can get it for next to nothing. My question is, when I look at the shocks from the two different years, they seem identical, but the part numbers are slightly different from 1984 and 1986. 52400-MG9-671 for 1984 and 52400-MG9-771 for 1986.

Anyone know if there are compatibility issues?

I replaced the leakly shock over the weekend with another shock from another used Goldwing.

My question now, does Springyness matter? Should I replace the other shock with the other one from the other bike to match the springyness of that shock?

Or am I way over-thinking this as they are both old and used and does not matter?

I know that you need good springs Marcus. I had heard many members complaining of how hard their Oldwings were to get on the centre stand. I had always put the Rats Nest on its centre stand from the moment I first started riding it, even when the panniers were full without any problems. After a couple of years I then struggled until I replaced my rear shocks, turns out my old springs had sagged. :doh:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192333#p192333:1we5zbb4 said:
marcusknight » 19 minutes ago[/url]":1we5zbb4]
I replaced the leakly shock over the weekend with another shock from another used Goldwing.

My question now, does Springyness matter? Should I replace the other shock with the other one from the other bike to match the springyness of that shock?

Or am I way over-thinking this as they are both old and used and does not matter?
Seems to make sense to replace them both in pairs so the springs are as equal as can be, but I don't think this causes a problem on the 1500 which has only one that takes air.