1984 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wing1984

Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking for suggestion on fixing a leaking clutch master cylinder "observation window", or other wise know as site glass. Got brake fluid leaking from site glass. Any input will be welcome. Anyone got a new one to sell?

Karl/ wing1984

Welcome to Classics!

I just bought a MC for my 87 that probably had the same problem. The window was removed and replaced with JB Weld - I have also seen a dime shoved in there. Depending on where the leak is coming from, I don't think you need to go to that extreme. I'd try a bead of sealant around the outer edge first.

SL1200_.jpg
Master Cylinder Sight Lens 18mm - (Pair of 2), Premium Set Replacement with O-Rings for Hydraulic Brake Lever is what I used for my 1985 Aspencade. Works far better than the plexi that I used last year for the master brake cylinder, and no sealant to dry.

Bought it from Amazon, for 9.00, a little harder to install but a far better result. I used a couple of thin pieces of wood and a very small (3" I think) c clamp to get it most of the way in, then used a hammer and another piece of wood to make sure it was in all the way.

With a new o-ring and push fit it held fluid immediately, and the sight glass has a space between the outer face and the sight metal disk so it's easier to see the level.

When replacing the leaking window be sure to remove the parts shown in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20170518_084248581.jpg
    IMG_20170518_084248581.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 93