1200 Wheels

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will an 84 Wheel with the 84 drive spline work on an 87 final drive? I've been reading everything I can on this and see where the 84 wheel will not work with the 87 drive spline, but still haven't found a definitive answer to the wheel/drive spline.

I had an 84 wheel/drive spline on the bike for a little while when I was cleaning up the bike, but never looked to closely at it and never rode it like that. Now I want to take the 87 over to the darkside, but I don't want to damage anything in the process.

I have read extensively on this issue as well. The answer to your question is that the '84 wheel and corresponding FD flange will fit the '87 FD.

It gets tricky when you try to mix and match wheels and FD flanges.

Here is one thread you probably have already read: https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25817

Here is another that I found about the 1200 rear wheels, another interesting read: https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 27#p296127 This thread makes a lot of sense to me, two bearings in the 1200 rim like the 1500 - nice write up.

I want to go with a CT/PVT on my 1200, but have yet to come to grips with the 1200 issue. I would like to keep the rims the same on my '85. Going to a 1500 rear wheel changes the rim look.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Pretty sure that Honda had to address an inner wheel bearing problem on the 84 models due to their tendency to wallow out the wheel bearing hub. In 85 or 86 they beefed the Hub up to address this problem. Due to more stress on this area with running the car tire I would not use a 84 wheel and flange but would use the 86.

Honda came out with a fix for the pre-'86 1200 rear wheels. It was a sleeve and new bearing - temporary in nature - and was a warranty/recall issue (think we are a little long in the tooth for this). The '86 and '87 1200 years came with the fix from the factory. I wouldn't say that installing a steel sleeve insert than a bearing is beefing it up, as there is still the aluminum hub of the rim that is getting a good workout.

I have looked at all the information and my preference would be to machine the rear wheel hub so two bearings can be installed. To machine the rear wheel hub, put in a steel insert and only one bearing reduces the thickness of the rear wheel hub and is only a stop gap measure. Machining for the two bearing solution does not reduce the thickness of the hub but uses more of the hub for support, similar to the 1500 dual bearings.

From what joedrum has mentioned there is some machining of the "flange and hump" area, specifically the "hump" helps in installing a CT/PVT on the 15 inch rim. I'm thinking that machining and reducing the "hump" by 50% would be a suitable alternative to removing it completely as this is used to define the seating area and not the structural integrity IMHO. If there is another way to install a CT/PVT on a 1200 rim I would be open to it as a consideration.

Here is a picture of a tire rim nomenclature:
tire rim nomenclature.jpg

Cheers

The entire hump has to come out and then some ...for it to be milled right ....I have no figures on this as I did it all by hand with a grinder and caveman lath ....don't want to sound discouraging .....as it was one of the best mods I did on my bike....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193217#p193217:q5wrfxj7 said:
brianinpa » July 17th, 2017, 8:37 am[/url]":q5wrfxj7]
Will an 84 Wheel with the 84 drive spline work on an 87 final drive? I've been reading everything I can on this and see where the 84 wheel will not work with the 87 drive spline, but still haven't found a definitive answer to the wheel/drive spline.

I had an 84 wheel/drive spline on the bike for a little while when I was cleaning up the bike, but never looked to closely at it and never rode it like that. Now I want to take the 87 over to the darkside, but I don't want to damage anything in the process.

to answer your question yes, any 84 to 87 final drive will fit any 84 to 87. The only thing you need to do is use the correct flange with wheel. I have a post here titled "the wheel truth" as mentioned with a link in this thread. 84/85 are same and 86/87 are same wheel and flange.

I'm going to change the tires on my 1100 this winter, not because of tread but they are 6 years old. Brother-in-law went darkside on his 1800 and has got me to thinking. Anyone do this on their 1100? Maybe I should start a new thread instead of hi-jacking this one.

Your 82 has 16" wheel and it's possible the 1500 car tire would work...many use them on 1500s...it has a 3.5" rim ...your 82 has 3" rim ....hooches car tire is mounted on a 3" rim that's 15" rim ...I've had no problem with it .....most say 3" rims are to narrow to use car tire...I have found this most guy is usually wrong LOL....I was going to do this mod at one time but I went past the 1100 gearing final drive to the 1200 final drive for thr taller gearing it has and never did it ...so to me ...I was going to go there .....problem is that the car tire in 16" size is rather costly also and will it fit the swing arm width...seemed to me it would but the brake arm on 1100s would have to be modded out of the way...so there's some work here to do....to me the mod wasn't a big deal ...but again I never went there..

This most guy said 1200final drive won't go in a 1000...he also said 1200 wheel will not fit 1000 forks....he said early cams and heads won't work on 1200s....he also said SCC carburation will never be as good as stock .....well hooch proved all this was wrong ...

Since the rear normally has the same rotation as the front. Logic tells me the same rotation will give the full benefit of traction and water dispersal that it was designed to provide. The front tire on my valk is larger than the rear on most bikes. Wet roads are not an issue. On the other hand wet grass is incredibly slippery.

Yes, but I did it by using the wheel and tire I modified a few years ago which was an 84. 165/80R 15 is the size and I machined the bead lock rim off of the wheel like Joe did. How I did it is buried in my 1981 1200 thread somewhere.