Having problems with my 84 goldwing please help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3AST1N

Reaction score
I recently replaced timing belt and crank gear, bike ran great for 4 days, on the 4th day i drove it home parked it, and went to start later wouldn't turn over so i let it sit till next day. The next day it turned over but with the help of pulling the throttle lightly while on choke which usually dies when i do that, anyways wouldn't idle on choke and wouldn't idle regular either, i put in gear to move the bike but it acted like it wasn't getting gas or wasn't getting enough powet., If i let off throttle it would die. I recently noticed while i was double checking fuel lines that when i took fuel line off for the fuel valve (petcock) no fuel would flow from the valve i let sit for hr came back turned it on it released the fuel so cleaned the petcock, but still does it like there is a clog in tank, i just need some help I'm so lost at this point

1200 has electric fuel pump. Sounds to me like it may not be working or the carbs need cleaned really bad. Do NOT use carb cleaner on assembled carbs. Or you will be replacing a bunch of seals and possibly diaphragms.

Is gas coming out of the petcock? If so, go downstream and check on the fuel filter. (If it needs replaced I really suggest the Randakk filter.) If you have fuel coming out of the petcock then test the pump. On it goes to the carbs. Process of elimination.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194258#p194258:3et5nju5 said:
wedoo2 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:05 pm[/url]":3et5nju5]
Is gas coming out of the petcock? If so, go downstream and check on the fuel filter. (If it needs replaced I really suggest the Randakk filter.) If you have fuel coming out of the petcock then test the pump. On it goes to the carbs. Process of elimination.

+1 :yes:

Start at the highest point and work down from there.

1. Make sure the tank is full. If the problem goes away, but re-occurs when the fuel level is below the petcock, the fuel pump is not working. See para five below.
2. If you have not replaced your fuel filter in the last year, do it now. It is a cheap fix and is required maintenance. If fuel flows through the new filter, problem solved. A cheap filter that fits is Napa part number 3011 for $3.49.
3. Fuel will gravity feed to the carburetors if the gas level is above the petcock and no blockages in the tank exist. Close the petcock, remove the hose from the petcock and replace that hose with a hose long enough to reach a catch container on the ground. Open the petcock to see if fuel will gravity feed. If not, make sure the fuel level is above the petcock.
4. If no fuel comes out, you have a blockage in the pickup system. Open the cap and listen for bubbling as you GENTLY blow air into the tank using the long hose to back-flush any obstacles. If you hear bubbling, see if fuel will gravity feed into the container on the ground. If it does, your best course is to schedule a tank removal and clean it thoroughly before it clogs again. Instructions on tank removal are available on this site.
5. Is the fuel pump working? Turn the key on, start the engine and see if you can feel the gas pump pulsations as it pumps fuel. If no vibration, either the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump is not working. Fuel pump relays seldom fail, so the culprit is normally the pump. Many people have replaced the Gl1200 fuel pump with one from an 85 Accord (under $30 at Rock Auto). Examples for mounting the Accord pump are available on this site.

Tom