Stripping Clear Coat Off Engine Parts/Covers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been looking at the finish on some of the parts on the various threads and have also been looking at the different products that have been used to strip the clear coat, then clean and reapply a new clear coat for protection. The unfortunate part is that up here north of the 49th, we are a kinder-gentler nation that is outlawing products that do the job.

Bought some Circa 1950 Paint Stripper that is supposed to remove almost everything, but did not do the trick.

Any Canucks have product recommendations (those that can be found in Canada) that would strip the clear coat off of parts/covers so these can be refurbished?

Cheers

Might have to cover it with stretch wrap plastic to keep it from drying. But 4-5 hours it should soften it enough to remove with some effort and a scotch brite pad.

Lots of good information regarding this topic. Brake fluid, oven cleaner, as well as other products have been recommended. Bead blasting then powder coat parts as well.

Since I need these covers when I get and install the Ns (crankshaft) sensor, I decided to sand down to bare aluminum. Both covers have/had dings as well as deep scratches and the paint removed to bare aluminum. Sanded down to bare aluminum, 2 coats of zinc chromate, 3 coats of Tremclad gloss aluminum, then 2 coats of clear lacquer. Think they turned out not too bad - will tide me over until I decide on the next move.

Have thought about powder coating, do like the end result. Thankfully, I intend to keep the '85 LTD (never get my investment back). Have always wanted to refurbish and bring an older bike back to original.

Want to take engine out and clean it all round, and paint. Have to do the valve covers as well. Should be able to get the 4 covers bead blasted for around $50.00, and then powder coat. Doing the spray can at this time allows me to find out what is available here on the island for powder coating.

Took some before and after pictures of the worst timing belt cover:
Timing Belt Cover 1.jpg
Timing Belt Cover 2.jpg
Think the cover(s) turned out pretty good considering, and with the fairings and all, not too many people are going to get down and personal to see the imperfections.

Cheers