Picking up a parts only 84 Interstate today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
Ran across this on Facebook. They are asking $200 (with title); I looked at it last night and told them I would be back today to pay and pick it up.

Some one replaced the mufflers with straight pipes; the carbs are crap, front tire is crap, but it's pretty much all there. It has an external alternator (Chevy 70 amp) mounted on the right front of the engine. UGLY!! I think that means the stator is shot.

Apparently they bought it with the idea of restoring it, but quickly realized carburetor work alone would cost more than they paid for the bike.

My plan is to totally disassemble it, tag all parts and put them on the shelves in the back room, then sell the frame with the title.

Attachments

• 84 interstate parts only.jpg
    84 interstate parts only.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 170
I'm thinking that lashup puts a heavy load on the right timing belt, so that Rube Goldberg effort is coming off! :builder:

Motor was stuck. I put ATF in each cylinder, let them soak for a few minutes, then hit it with a lawnmower battery and a 40 amp booster. Spins over like normal and I'll do compression checks tomorrow. Carburetors are crap, so looking to use a single carburetor setup. Motor will be removed and hung on engine run stand for that effort. Need to machine 4 more secondary air plugs.

Neutral, battery, and oil indicators work. Has high and low beams, and the turn signals work. Ignition switch works normal, so it goes on the trike.

Front master cylinder MIA, rear slave cylinder MIA.

Valve core broken in front tire, so first effort is to change out front tire with one that holds air. Don't know whether front shocks are any good due to flat tire.

Rear shocks look to be collapsed, so rebuild is required before they can be used.

The trunk is a Vetter, off an earlier Wing?

Exhaust manifolds rusted thru in spots.

Seat is ripped and foam is sun burned.

"Almost sounds like you are going to resurrect that thing. SC, new tire?????"

No rehab for this collection of spare parts. It is a source of pieces for the 84 trike I have "almost" finished.

I read somewhere that the stators on GL1000/GL1100/GL1200 are interchangeable, so I will take one out of a reparable Gl1000 engine I have that needs a clutch plate & 1 intake valve, but still holds 20 psi oil pressure when cranked with the starter and go from there. :builder:

The GL1200 motor then goes onto the run stand, and becomes a mock-up for testing parts. SC manifold & progressive 2-barrel carburetor, first, then who knows? :builder:

I have an old wheel and tire that still holds pressure, so I will put it on the bike so I can move it around by myself.

If you have removed your rear tire or swing arm for maintenance and then need to move the bike, build something like the below pictured dolly. The castors are from Harbor Freight (of course) and support a total of 800 lbs. It straps to the bottom of the frame and is very stable. :builder:

BTW, if someone needs parts for an 84, let me know by PM.

Attachments

• Cycle Dolly.jpg
    Cycle Dolly.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 119
  • SC carburetor.jpg
    SC carburetor.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 117
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=195023#p195023:896nakpd said:
Rednaxs60 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 pm[/url]":896nakpd]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195019#p195019:896nakpd said:
desertrefugee » Today, 3:48 pm[/url]":896nakpd]
Yowsa! Definitely Mad Max material.

Check out the Wasteland web site - Mad max in the California Mojave Dessert: https://www.wastelandweekend.com/ Bike would fit right in.

Cheers

Ha! Looks like an interesting way to spend a weekend.

:builder:
Did a compression check, all cylinders read 125+, valves and rings are apparently working.
Oil light goes off if you crank it long enough, so the oil pump is good.
Got spark on all cylinders - no disappointments yet.
:Egyptian:

First of all: kudos to slabghost on how to get power to the Ignition Control Module. I asked the question back in 2015 and forgot the response by 2017, but the answer was still on the forum.

Fired up the 84 engine on the run stand tonight with a Holley 2-bbl progressive carburetor on a home-made manifold. "Cough-Spit-Roar". Many carburetor adjustments/modifications will be required to keep it running.

She blew a lot of blue smoke when she started because I had oiled the cylinders heavily when I bought it. That should burn off soon and stop polluting the garage. Next I need to "find" some mufflers because it's pretty noisy with just the exhaust manifolds. Maybe a "Y" pipe with a single glass-pack??

Gotta love it when a plan (hare-brained idea?) works out.

When I get it to idle, I'll post a video on here.

I hate neighbors like you. Open headers, blue smoke. Oh, wait! I hate neighbors like ME! I do the same dang thing - and keep Led Zeppelin blasting in between.

Sounds like you have a solid test mule on your hands. I wish I had the room for it.

Fun stuff.