Runs rough when cold

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F5guy

Reaction score
So I've kind of accepted it over the years that my 86 hiccups and spits when cold and just warm it up before ridding or run a little while with choke on. What's the consensus on what the issue is ive heard it's a common issue. Thank you.

Edit runs not rubs lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can be a little cold natured. The real question is: How does it run when warmed up? Idles OK? Throttles up and down crisply? No stumbling? If the rub ... er rough running is only when cold, just warm it up a little longer. Shouldn't really need much during Summer, though.

Runs great once warmed up. Idle is good, reva a little bit during shifts at low rpms. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock carb set up is so overbuilt and crummy design ...non seem to work as they should ...and really cut the power these oldwing 4 motors have ....is what i found out ....

I don't know if my stock carbs run as they should, but they been consistent now for the 28 years I've owned it. I get mileage in the low 40s, it starts right up and never stumbles, backfires, or runs rough. I've always been very conscientious about winter storage. Just my $.02, Dave
P.S. any good balm should help a rough rub. :BigGrin:

I think that when the early Gold Wing carbs are clean, good adjustment on the floats, synchronized and the correct jets, that they are fine. The bike should start right up without the choke and run strong.

That being said, I understand Joe's rub against them. But when someone tries to go to a single carb solution it is fraught with problems. It is not simple and tons of threads prove that. I started that last winter but couldn't get it right and went back to the OEM carbs. But my problems are mine and a good number of people have had success.

My thinking is if I can get a smooth running bike and not expect superbike performance then I can live with that. Now....an FI solution for the older bikes.........

Okay corrected the "rubs" to runs. Even my Valkyrie runs a bit rough until it warms up if I don't use the choke or hold a bit higher rpm for a bit.

Nature of the beast, they run too lean for a cold condition causing less than stellar performance while first operating the bike. Once it has been revved a few times and warmed fully they run just fine IMHO.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195835#p195835:yx5f37us said:
slabghost » Today, 6:40 am[/url]":yx5f37us]
Okay corrected the "rubs" to runs.

Fun while it lasted.