That's sweet...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went for a ride yesterday on the 87 and didn't get too far. As I was riding I started to get a whiff antifreeze. :shock: A quick look in the mirror, and sure enough there were puffs of steam coming out the exhaust. :head bang: So, I turned around and limped the bike home.

Here I go again. :builder:

I hate when I smell that, be it on one of my cars or the bikes. Chances are good it'll be a PIA to fix.
Last time was the Burb water pump, then a plastic T that cracked probably when I was replacing the water pump :rant:
Time before that was the VAN water pump. Actually that time it dumped all the coolant out the weep hole when I turned engine off :head bang:

I just did head gaskets on a '77 GL1000 ... and it wasn't even mine! My buddy overheated a couple of weeks ago and blew one side. I did both for him...in a hot Arizona garage. He owes me BIG time. The only snag was a mangled o-ring on a water tube. The NEW one. Had to re-use the old.

I don't know Brian. Head gasket and all the troubles to change the gasket. There is that real nice 1200 sitting down in Germantown real cheap! :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196042#p196042:1rc5g2oj said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:02 pm[/url]":1rc5g2oj]
I don't know Brian. Head gasket and all the troubles to change the gasket. There is that real nice 1200 sitting down in Germantown real cheap! :smilie_happy:

Somehow, I knew that was coming, but still the answer is no...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196024#p196024:3fu3a7u9 said:
detdrbuzzard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:49 pm[/url]":3fu3a7u9]
...my 1500 wing had over 100,000 miles and the head gaskets haven't been touched, knock on wood

:Doh2: Dadgum William....you KNOW you just jinxed it, don't you??? :ahem:

:hihihi:

So I ordered my parts and I've had them on hand for a few weeks now. I just haven't had the time to work on the bike because SHMBO wanted a bathroom renovated before Christmas. Well, the bathroom is done, so it is time to get to work on the bike but the temps took a dramatic drop sooner than expected, so maybe I won't be working on it too soon.

Because of that, I have decided that now is the time... What time? It's time to order more parts.

First on that list was the conversion parts to mount the C5 on the back of the left head. While it is off, I'm going to be drilling and tapping the cam shaft, so now is the time.

Second on the list, is a new carb! I liked how my 81 1200 ran with the 34 Pict 3, and I had the jets figured out, its just the carb was hammered: choke butterfly didn't turn, the fast idle plate was removed by me since the choke didn't work, the float actually sank because it was filled with gas, etc. I decided it was time for something new.

image.php

I got it on evilbay. It looks better than some of the other aftermarket versions, so for the price I decided to give it a try. They wanted $61, so I made an offer of $55 and the countered with $58. I figured why not. Then I found their website.

https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/For-VW-34-PICT-3-12V-Electric-Choke-1600CC-113129031K-Carburetor.html

Installing the C5 shouldn't be an issue other than finding space for the coil pack, butsince I am changing the carb out as well, that should provide some more room. Changing the carb... well with any luck the setup on this 87 motor will be the same as it was on the 84 motor that it was on.

I came home from deer camp without a deer, but it was like Christmas. I had a new motor with me and there were two boxes waiting for me. A new carb and a box from Paul with my ignition and all the parts I need to mount it on the 1200 head.
:party: