getting rid of 2ndary air system

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just some EPA BS from way back ....getting rid of it just takes something useless off the bike in my opinion ....how crazy it was to put air passages through hot heads ...I've known the 1200 heads to crack right there ...it's the only for sure cracked heads on a oldwing I've ever seen ...

:builder:

The real benefit is easier removal and installation of the carburetors. I could not detect any operational difference between having the system and running without it. I have removed the SAS from three 1200s so far and the owners were pleased.

I live in an area where testing is not required. Given that all 1200s are categorized as "antique" (more than 25 years old), there may be some laxity in applying emissions standards to them. I suggest you pull the system, save all pieces, and see if the bike passes the testing. If it doesn't, the modification can be reversed easily.

Good luck!

I got rid of mine, and the biggest effect was cleaning up the leaks and as stated ease of pulling and reinstalling the carbs. I had a friend make plugs for mine (1200) and ordered new o rings from Honda.
.75 material worked fine instead of the .785 measured.

Attachments

• Secondary Air Blockoff.bmp
    54.1 KB · Views: 107
Another thing it will do is get rid of that annoying back firing on deceleration if the anti afterburn valve is worn out. The carbs are designed so that the motor runs lean. Get rid of the plumbing and fine tune that carbs if needed and then don't look back.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=196213#p196213:dm947r6r said:
frankroche » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:20 am[/url]":dm947r6r]
I got rid of mine, and the biggest effect was cleaning up the leaks and as stated ease of pulling and reinstalling the carbs. I had a friend make plugs for mine (1200) and ordered new o rings from Honda.
.75 material worked fine instead of the .785 measured.
Secondary Air Blockoff.bmp

Frank has hit on the only compelling reason to do this (and offered a nice suggestion). At 30 years, o-rings and associated rubber lines are used up and begin to allow vacuum leaks. This is a common modification to the Valkyrie - although that system is a bit more involved and includes a PAIR valve. If you consider it, do it either when you have some time or otherwise have the carbs off. You'll want to take your time, get it right and pay particular attention to the method you use for plugging the air holes in the heads.