1985 LTD Front Fork Maintenance

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the front forks off my '85 LTD this afternoon. Had read the service manuals, and browsed the internet for videos. Found all the information necessary and took up the challenge. A good video for this maintenance is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ssZXBHL8Z4

There have been a considerable number of threads in the various forums regarding changing fork oil, mostly about the oil weight, but about whether or not to do this maintenance. Friend of mine over on GWDocs, goes by the handle of SilverDave, has been corresponding with me about this.

He found that the service manuals recommended oil change anywhere from 3,000 Kms to 60,000 Kms. I submit that if you are getting into the 60,000 range, bushings, oil seal and dust seal are in the cards as well.

I had the suspension renewed/upgraded two years and 32,000 Kms ago. I looked at the invoice and it seems that only the upper bushing near the oil seal was replaced. The lower bushings (2 in number) were not. I noticed that the oil seal retaing clip is rusted so water is getting past the dust seal:
Water on top of oil seal.jpg
Will have to monitor this.

I have inspected the bushings and they are in need of replacement. The upper bushing external coating is worn off:
Upper Bushing.jpg
, and the lower 2 bushings have the inside coating worn off:
Lower Old Bushings.jpg
Here is where the lower bushings are installed on the upper shaft:
Lower Bushing Placement.jpg

I had ordered the dust and oil seals and the guide bushing for each side, but now need the slider bushings for each side. Since I am going to look at the lower pipe and see how the Race Tech spring and gold valve emulators are installed, I have also ordered the piston rings for the lower pipe - just in case. These parts will be here late this week or early next, so until then, cleaning is the name of the game. Waiting on the Honda fork spring tool as well - should be here late this week, too old to have the Accident God(s) interrupting my work. Find I don't heal as fast as I used to.

More to follow. Cheers

Latest posts