LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently December 11th, 2017, 6:44 pm
Who Is Online: Believer45, oldwing, pidjones, PurpleGL1200I, wilcoy02 ....1 guest(s) viewing this forum
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Shop Talk and Tech references » GL1200

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Post subject: Carburator Bowl level???
Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#1  Unread postPosted: November 28th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Topic author

Total Posts: 29
Active Topics: 3

Local time: December 11th, 2017, 9:44 pm
My Rides: Hi,i am new on my dream bike,,an Old 1984 Aspencade that need TLC and i am working on her.

hi all,
well my carburators are cleaned and new jets installed.
i am checking my Haynes manual and it is not clear one bit how too adjust the bowl level in the carb?

i cannot find a single clear picture of "where" they are taking the level,

would you have one somewhere ?

3 of my idle jet were obstructed at over 50% when you consider the size of their hole,,,thats a lot and explain why the choke was needed too idle the engine.

so too reinstall my intake now i need to adjust/check the bowl level.

can you gave me a hand?
thanks
Gef

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#2  Unread postPosted: November 28th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14458
Active Topics: 147

Total Images: 112
Local time: December 11th, 2017, 10:44 pm
My Rides: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

If the floats have not been moved to another carb or adjusted it is likely good as is. Checking the float levels on these means standing the rack on edge so the floats do not compress the detent pins on the needles but seat the needles.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#3  Unread postPosted: November 28th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 473
Active Topics: 25

Total Images: 39
Local time: December 11th, 2017, 7:44 pm
My Rides: 1980 Honda GL1100

Profile Personal album

Check out this tutorial, esp. page 13. I know it's for 1100 carbs but perhaps 1200's are similar.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/images/misc/GL1100carboverhaul.pdf

Mike

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#4  Unread postPosted: November 28th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Topic author

My Rides: Hi,i am new on my dream bike,,an Old 1984 Aspencade that need TLC and i am working on her.

Check out this tutorial, esp. page 13. I know it's for 1100 carbs but perhaps 1200's are similar.

Mike

well the 1100 carbs are quite different and i suspect smaller ,they are not the same.
i will continue my research,
i have no idea how they were before i baught this GW,
my carb were so dirty,full of additive deposit that clogue the main jet,,i have some pictures.

it convinced me again too add some 2 cycles oil in the gaz tank as i have done for the past 40 years and never add any bugs with my carbs.
i will do it at this one also
Gef

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5  Unread postPosted: November 29th, 2017, 3:31 am

Site supporter
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 5568
Active Topics: 160

Total Images: 359
Local time: December 11th, 2017, 10:44 pm
My Rides: 1984 GL1200 Standard - 18,000 miles

1987 GL1200 Interstate - 61,000

Profile Personal album

The Haynes manual leaves out an important aspect... the tool required to properly measure the float...

http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=10268&image_id=30980

The tool is similar to a depth gage. It rests on the surface that the cover mounts to and the gage plunges down against the float, and that is how the distance is read. Without the tool, it is ver difficult to get exact.

Brian
Retired US Navy 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#6  Unread postPosted: November 29th, 2017, 6:59 am

Topic author

The Haynes manual leaves out an important aspect... the tool required to properly measure the float...

http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=10268&image_id=30980

The tool is similar to a depth gage. It rests on the surface that the cover mounts to and the gage plunges down against the float, and that is how the distance is read. Without the tool, it is ver difficult to get exact.

the float bowl seems to go "inside " the carburator body,,
man i would like to have a picture from the side of the carburator so i would see the depth pf the bowl ,,

i am used to adjust on mukuni but this one is different

gervais

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#7  Unread postPosted: November 29th, 2017, 8:08 am

:)
C5 Club
Single Carb Club
Site supporter
knocker

Total Posts: 20432
Active Topics: 810

Total Images: 4064
Local time: December 11th, 2017, 6:44 pm
My Rides: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
I’m at work so it’s hard to copy links and images, but google search gl1200 float adjustment and select the “images”. I saw a few that might help.

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#8  Unread postPosted: November 29th, 2017, 8:43 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 1444
Active Topics: 30

Total Images: 62
My Rides: 1986 GL1200A "Goldie"
2016 HD FLTRU "BB"

Profile Personal album

Mike

Page 13 shows the proper method of setting the floats, don't remember if the 15.5 mm is the dimension for GL1200. The 1200 dimension should be 7.5mm.

Riding anything is a good day

Mike

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#9  Unread postPosted: November 29th, 2017, 10:19 am

Topic author

well
finally i used Google translator and it helped me.
i could understand now,

you push the bowl just enough that the little spring inside the "pointeau" as we say in french BUT in english translate by trottle and it has nothing to do with a trottle :-) ,,,you know it is attached at the little plate on the bowl and it closed the gaz to come inside the carburator,,,,,,,ahhh .

finally i took a coffee and came back and found a way and it worked,you have to incline the carburator on their side so there is "no force" that will force the bowl to come down inside the carburator so this way (when it is incline) the bowl can be pushed by one finger and on the other hand you have a tool too mesure the 7.5 mm ,,,
it worked but what a job

i found NO video at all on the 1200 ,some about the 1000 and the 1100 but they are not using the same carbs.

i am using some parts in my SUMO KIT i baught like orings,flat washers,,,

i am beginning too see the LED at the end of the tunnel as we say here!!!!!! :-)

Gef

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#10  Unread postPosted: November 29th, 2017, 11:31 am

Topic author

well i am trying too upload some picture now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#11  Unread postPosted: November 29th, 2017, 3:32 pm

C5 Club
Single Carb Club
Site supporter
knocker

Total Posts: 20432
Active Topics: 810

Total Images: 4064
Local time: December 11th, 2017, 6:44 pm
My Rides: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Looks like that measuring tool works good :good:

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#12  Unread postPosted: November 29th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Topic author

Looks like that measuring tool works good :good:

yes it looks great,
thats my tool that i have been using for years on Mukuni so i tried it here and it seems ok.
this a rule that i have since my years in mecanic schools here .

tomorrow i will reinstall the intake and start it ,after i will dismantle the front engine cover to look for the cam strap and order set
of Gates,,they seems to be the choice of the majority and i dont recall their parts number.

after the air compressor is too check,dismantle all the wheels,,,

my fun ,,winter arriving

gervais

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#13  Unread postPosted: November 30th, 2017, 9:55 am

Site supporter

Total Posts: 3017
Active Topics: 293

Total Images: 19
Local time: December 11th, 2017, 7:44 pm
My Rides: 1980 Interstate

Profile Personal album

Cant hurt to fill them up on the bench just to be sure it is a one time deal, about 5 feet of gas line with a funnel on the end simulates fuel pump pressure, let it sit a few hours.

Jeff

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#14  Unread postPosted: November 30th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Topic author

Cant hurt to fill them up on the bench just to be sure it is a one time deal, about 5 feet of gas line with a funnel on the end simulates fuel pump pressure, let it sit a few hours.

excellent idea jeff
thanks i will try

Gef

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#15  Unread postPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 5:47 pm

Topic author

Great news,
it runs no1
of course i must "balanced " them but the engine is responding good and no gaz spill,,,no over flow of gaz.

now i am checking for the "charge circuit".i have 15 vdc idle which is a lot,
i am suspecting a bad regulator,i know that the present alternator is new Honda but i wonder if the regulator is fryed on one diode,,
i am checking on ebay for one.

if i add that dam crank pulley i would have fit right away a n alternator

gef

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently December 11th, 2017, 6:44 pm