The Wanderer III

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

made2care

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2003 bmw r1200c
84 gl1200
Well, since I completed the Wanderer part 2 and think I might have solved the single carb issue on her, I started looking and found an 85 Aspencade , I've always wanted one of these. I had an interstate a few years back but this bike has all the bells and whistles. I Will post pics tomorrow. The bike has some cosmetic issues and I was told the po was medi-flighted to a hospital back in 2011. Sounds like this bike would be totaled but ............you will have to wait to judge. Story goes a rock hit him which caused the bike to go down . You will see from the pics that the only area on the bike that was affected included the right portion of front cowl and the right engine guard. I carefully checked everything else and from what I could tell, she is straight. I did test drive and no problems.
Carbs will have to be cleaned and all the other fluid changes etc.
Thoughts??

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198166#p198166:2wdx01y0 said:
made2care » Yesterday, 4:26 pm[/url]":2wdx01y0]
. You will see from the pics....

Tease.

here are a few pics but does not show damage. will have to back out of shed to get those pics. pics you see were from the ad.

Attachments

• aspy.jpg
    aspy.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 137
  • aspencade.jpg
    aspencade.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 135
I purchased it yesterday. Right side has damage but rest in in great condition. Should be an easy fix. Here are my pics .
Notice the added side covers ( not on left side, i took that one off) in front of the regular side covers. I have never seen covers like that before, could they be off of a 1500?

Attachments

• IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 124
This is one of those situations in which the seller did not disclose the bike had been in a wreck. He only took pictures of the good side and lied when I asked if there were any issues. That being said, after a 2 1/2 hr drive I pull up and upon closer inspection I noticed the damaged side and my blood pressure went up. I took a deep breath and took my time evaluating everything. After the test ride I leaned more towards the purchase. It's obvious this bike was not involved in a collision or it would be mangled. Appears as though it fell over while traveling at a slow rate of speed. The seller knew a few details from the po but that was it and it was obvious he was just out to make a quick buck. Maybe the po hit a buck :)
No leaks anywhere . Hopefully there won't be anymore surprises!!
I could never be so dishonest when selling anything but I guess this guy thought nothing of it. I'm sure he knew if he was upfront, he probably would never sell it. Other than the wrecked areas, this bike is in excellent shape.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198199#p198199:35zda03b said:
made2care » Yesterday, 5:58 pm[/url]":35zda03b]
...snip....
Notice the added side covers ( not on left side, i took that one off) in front of the regular side covers. I have never seen covers like that before, could they be off of a 1500?

They are Markland after market, made for 1200. See my pics

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198218#p198218:2hub2vn4 said:
julimike54 » 43 minutes ago[/url]":2hub2vn4]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198199#p198199:2hub2vn4 said:
made2care » Yesterday, 5:58 pm[/url]":2hub2vn4]
...snip....

They are Markland after market, made for 1200. See my pics
oh okay, thanx

I wish I had more info on the history/wreck . Just my OCD taking over I guess. How could just the cowl and crash bar be effected and not any other parts on the right side? And the rest of the bike is in pristine condition, even the right floorboard is unscathed.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198233#p198233:1p705pb4 said:
julimike54 » 13 minutes ago[/url]":1p705pb4]
Garage accident? Someone drove into it? Just a guess without any pics to look at.......
Pics should be posted

A set of those Markland engine covers came on my old '84 Aspy - perfectly color matched. I didn't like them at all (hated them actually) and put them up for $100. I had like 6 takers literally in 24 hours.

Still, to me rare doesn't necessarily equate to desirability. One of the alluring aspects of the 1200 dressers is that great, visible motor is still, well ... visible. The covers, well ... cover it and in my opinion, don't flow well with the original Honda lines. Somebody also mentioned at the time that airflow and engine temperature "might" be adversely affected by them. I'm a little skeptical about that, but it was brought up.

I never regretted selling those monstrosities for one second.