Over heated in Texas - Part II

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I chronicled my adventures of the breakdown and eventual rebirth of my 1200 Standard with another motor in the first installment of this saga ( https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11503 ). Now it is time to start the next chapter, which I hope has as good of an ending as the first. I am hoping to rebuild the original motor for this bike so that I can keep it as close to as original as possible.

Last night I opened up the motor and I was surprised in some respects. I expected to see things a lot worse than what they are, but after looking at the scoring on the two left pistons, I'm not too optimistic that I made it through this without any damage at all.

image.php

I will add that before this trip, I had changed the oil and filter and it had approximately 500 miles on it. It looked like it had more like 50,000 miles on it and it smelled like it too.

That might be a bit of an understatement but from what I can see, the cylinder wall does not match the piston :headscratch:

Oh... did I mention I know where there may be some spare parts?

Parts_Motor.jpg

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=198290#p198290:3r6vr64w said:
brianinpa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:10 am[/url]":3r6vr64w]
That might be a bit of an understatement but from what I can see, the cylinder wall does not match the piston :headscratch:

That surprises me, too, given how bad that piston looks. Nice to see you picking up the dialog on this project again, though!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198292#p198292:2drnh8el said:
desertrefugee » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:12 pm[/url]":2drnh8el]
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=198290#p198290:2drnh8el said:
brianinpa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:10 am[/url]":2drnh8el]

...Nice to see you picking up the dialog on this project again, though!

Yeah, it has taken a while to get to the point where I can tear into the motor. I got the 87 and put that one on the road, then I tore the 81 apart to get the 84 at least running again. Then my son FINALLY moved out so I had to deal with that and clean up and take over my basement again, then the wife needed to have his bathroom redone - I really hate shiplap!!! Anyway, it has always been my intention to at least look inside this motor and see what I can see. That time has finally arrived. :BigGrin:

This morning I spent some time working on the motor. As I was, snow was falling outside and I was warm a cozy in the basement... getting these motors down the steps may have been a workout, but boy was it worth it!

Any way, I pulled all 4 pistons and got a closer look at each:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Well, thats the good, the bad, and the ugly of the pistons. If there is anything good about them, all the scoring I see is below the rings and not at the rings or the ring groves.

It also appears I may have been a little optimistic when I stated that there wasn't any scoring on the cylinder walls. I knew the #3 was scored as I saw that last year when I pulled the heads off, but now that I have had a chance to look at things a little closer... well they are all scored. The rear cylinders more so than the front, which stands to reason. Things got a little hotter in the back of the motor.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

So, that is the good, the bad, and the ugly of the cylinder walls. The worst by far is the #3 and none of them feel too deep, so I am hoping that a simple honing will do the job.

Yep, I'm taking it completely apart. I will say though, without the pistons installed, everything spins real smooth, so I hope that is a good sign... The rod bears, well, I'm not so sure about them and I need to look at them a little closer.

I think I found the source of some of the noises I was hearing...

image.php

This is the worst bearing that I have, all the rest show a little wear a and only one other (#3) shows a little heat.

Before...

image.php

After...

image.php

That's the #3 cylinder and by far what was the worst. After honing it, I cannot feel anything at the scoring, so I think that's as good as it gets. I may re-evaluate that the next time I look at it, but for now it's onto finding some pistons.