Jacking a GL1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusknight

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience lifting or jacking up a GL1200? I think I need to buy a motorcycle jack. I have to take the Center Stand off so I can get at a broken bolt on the rear clutch cover I have to drill out on the lower left side. Pictures and insights would be greatly helpful. Thanks

I use a Harbor F. motorcycle jack. As long as I use ratchet straps to lock the bike on the jack, it's not going anywhere. I've got a gl1200 on my jack since September and hasn't moved even with me yanking on bolts.

I have a motorcycle jack and a HF lift table and have used straps and a regular car floor jack on the lift to do some stuff, but when I need to do work on the clutch area like you describe, I would be inclined to pull the engine for that job. Having done this a couple times it seems more than worth the extra effort ( time and wrench spinning) to have the motor up on a table to do the work. Pulling the engine was easier than drilling out a siezed bolt with the engine still in place. But then I'm old and don't care to work on my knees or back much anymore :head bang:
I was pleasanly surprised at how easy engine removal is when the bike is on the floor on its centerstand with the mc jack under the engine...much easier than my cb750 engine contortions! Of course this is on an 1100, haven't experienced a 1200...yet.
Pics from the other computer if they'll help.

Pics as promised. Sorry I don't have a decent picture of the jack without the engine in the way. Nor do I have a pic of lifting the engine onto the table with the HF electric hoist bolted to the rafters ($69.00, what a godsend!)

Attachments

• IMG_1785small.jpg
    IMG_1785small.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1834small.jpg
    IMG_1834small.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 151
Not sure if a jack/lift is going to work. To get to the center stand area for work the jack will need to be placed forward of the center stand. This might cause a lifting bias to the front, I guess if it's strapped down well enough it will lift. Just a lot of strain on the straps. I've not tried to lift mine that way (yet)

As a bit of supplemental commentary about the "tail heavy" aspect of jacking bikes. The Valkyrie is notoriously tail heavy. No manner of jack placement under the motor will allow the machine to ride level as it's lifted.

Many workarounds have been devised, most of which involve adding an "extension" of sorts to the lift itself. I came across a better solution, engineered specifically for the Valk, that bolts to the frame under the sidestand mounts. It's a brace that provides a rearward spot to put the back jack arm that allows perfect balance. No need to fumble with jack extensions or other funky (and dangerous) approaches.

I would think that a handy fellow around the shop (with some time on his hands) might be able to come up with something similar for the wing - if it hasn't already been done.

I found mine used - a buddy was parting out a 160k mile Valk. Best $20 I ever spent.

IMG_4045 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4046 - Copy.JPG

...for the record, I have found collector covers and tidied that area up now! :cool:

I don’t have panniers on the rear of Val and I opted for just a bit of 1/2” ply on top of my atv style lift.
Seems to balance really well and as long as it is strapped properly it’s is really solid. :good:

Sometimes I'm a little slow, take it as you wish. Was playing around with the new jack the other day and basically confirmed what I thought, one 'arm' of the jack needs to be in the centerstand area, so as to lift without the rear lagging behind. The slow part, last night was thinking about how to change the bias from rear to front. All the normal objects came to mind to remove, then it dawned on me that the fuel tank is also way behind what I thought would be CG. So if you lift without a full tank of fuel (mine is full), does this change where it needs to go (jack front to rear)?

Well to add on about the jack positioning............

got her up for her front end maintenance, fairly level.

I'd positioned the legs of the lift as shown

This is the front location, the 5/4 board is wider than the lift footprint and goes forward to the lower engine mount

This is the rear location, the 5/4 board is about 4" wide and the edge pictured is almost even with the edge of the centerstand. May need to move to the rear a little.

The bike was very stable before the straps were installed, afterward it took a lot of force to wiggle the assembly. The wood blocks were used to space off the lifts legs from the exhaust pipes; the blocks were as long as the frame width and the centerstand. I'll post again, as I use it, if there are further developments.