1986 fuel pump relay

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgfever

Reaction score
Fuel pump relay issues! I double checked the fuel pump. It does run and I do get spark. I also checked the voltage at the pins so pretty sure I have a bad relay. I have seen comments that this relay is pulsed and others that say it is just energized when the switch is in the Run position. The reason I ask about this is I am wondering if I can replace it with a conventional relay as I’m having a hard time finding the correct replacement.
Thanks for you advice.
Tony Mason

I just went through this when I switched my 87 over to a single carb.

image.php

Because of this, I just bypassed it an installed a new separate relay.

Agreed. I added a 1200 fuel pump to my 1000. Any automotive relay is a fine replacement. The pulsing operation is purely a function of being driven by one of the ignition coil feeds. Not necessary since it'll only pump on "demand", i.e. an open float valve(s).

Constant DC voltage will be fine. Lots of us are doing it.

Well, I might have finally stumbled on my problem but I need help identifying this device. Notice the melted wires! I think it’s the silicon rectifier and if it is, how do I test it? I think a previous owner had an issue but failed to properly fix it. Entire harness has been taped.
Thanks. Any help is really appreciated!

Attachments

• 563A3DB0-3D0D-4439-9FE1-079DA942F79C.jpeg
    563A3DB0-3D0D-4439-9FE1-079DA942F79C.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 85

Latest posts