Collapsed Lifter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I think I have an issue starting...

What causes a lifter to collapse? I start to hear the tapping and rattling and then it goes away. I'll be pulling the valve cover off this evening to see if things are the way they should be, but I wanted to get an understanding before I start.

My only experience with noisy hydraulic lifters suddenly tapping and then stopping is a bit of carbon up inside the lifters. I do not know about the 1200 lifters, but others I have worked on only required removing the lifter, separating and cleaning.

Is it normal for the defoaming chamber to be empty? The manual calls for it to be filled with oil when reassembling the head. I did that when i changed the head gasket. Now they were empty.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202463#p202463:cgx6daji said:
brianinpa » 54 minutes ago[/url]":cgx6daji]
Is it normal for the defoaming chamber to be empty? The manual calls for it to be filled with oil when reassembling the head. I did that when i changed the head gasket. Now they were empty.
I filled them on 2 1200 engines and they both went empty.

I run about 4 oz. of atf in my oil too. I still get a little clatter occasionally but as long as it quiets back down. I ignore it.

This is the reason I don’t use 1200 heads on my hooch bike ...the lash adjuster is just to complicated it seems to me to be reliable ...especially when there is a power increase in motor ....the hooch bike with 1100 heads on 1200 motor with more oil flow is the quietest oldwing I’ve ever had together ...

Latest posts