Alternator conversion on gl1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:salute: Welcome to the site Steve, I'd like to get a standard 1200 to make a bobber out of :music2:
They make standard 1200's dont they Dan? I never see any for sale on craigslist

All three wires have been checked. They are shorted to ground. The funny part is the bike just turned over 70k 2 weeks ago. From what I have read, that's about all the longer the stator lasts. The goldwings run to 300k plus but the stator only 70k.

I don't think that a standard has been built since the GL1100!
Also I understand that if even one of the yellow wires from the stator to ground shows continuity, the stator is bad. I checked mine, and am thinking, that for 155 dollars and some scrap iron, a dependable Denso is in store!!

buildwithwood":2n1ctvdx said:
I don't think that a standard has been built since the GL1100!
Also I understand that if even one of the yellow wires from the stator to ground shows continuity, the stator is bad. I checked mine, and am thinking, that for 155 dollars and some scrap iron, a dependable Denso is in store!!
1984 was the last year Honda made a flat four standard. The next Naked Goldwing if you will was the 6 cylinder Valkyrie. Here is an '84 GL1200 Standard I found online:

Attachments

• 84_Goldwing_Standard%200005.jpg
    84_Goldwing_Standard%200005.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 607
  • gl1200std.jpg
    gl1200std.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 606
hello the stator on my aspy lasted 173,000 kms before it died and judging by the condition when I bought her the po 's neglected her for a very long time (always left out side to the elements) now she has a nice but messy garage to call home.

I did the Poorboy alternator conversion in March of 2010. I've put about 8k miles on the bike since then and I have had no problems with the conversion. I used the alternator from a GEO Metro with 50 amp marine circuit breaker. It charges at about 13.2 volts at idle and around 14.2 max at 3k rpm. It's a fairly easy install.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45881#p45881:2dq2qhfd said:
djoyner » February 20th, 2012, 8:18 am[/url]":2dq2qhfd]
I did the Poorboy alternator conversion in March of 2010. I've put about 8k miles on the bike since then and I have had no problems with the conversion. I used the alternator from a GEO Metro with 50 amp marine circuit breaker. It charges at about 13.2 volts at idle and around 14.2 max at 3k rpm. It's a fairly easy install.

hi
did you baught a used pulley for the crank?
i am trying too find one but i dont know where to find a used one and the seller of the 600+ kit dont sell just the pulley.
can you help me please.
thanks 1000 time

gervais
riviere-bleue,
quebec

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197752#p197752:g1l1him2 said:
Rednaxs60 » 48 minutes ago[/url]":g1l1him2]
See if you can get a power steering pump pulley from a 1985 Honda. That's what I have on mine.

do you if it is from a 1.5 liters engine??
the civic or prelude,
i will order one on the web
thanks
gef

A pulley is a pulley. If it fits the shaft, that's your first concern. But, more important is the diameter of both the drive pulley and the driven pulley. That'll yield the ratio that dictates the alternator speed. Folks have used various ratios, but as I recall, I used an almost exact 1:1 drive/driven ratio when I did my conversion in 2011.

You are better overdriving the alternator as most automotive ones are a 2.5-3 to 1 ratio with most alternators having a top speed of around 14000rpm.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197793#p197793:1x68yysu said:
Ansimp » 7 minutes ago[/url]":1x68yysu]
You are better overdriving the alternator as most automotive ones are a 2.5-3 to 1 ratio with most alternators having a top speed of around 14000rpm.
yes
i was thinking the same thing,
one of my problem is that in those scrap yard those Honda 1985 dont exist anymore and even the Honda car dealer dont have the parts number for that pulley from the power steering.
i would need someone maybe in BC where they could be existing old 85 still in those scrapyard but here in Quebec no chance.

i checked on Ebay and found nothing.

i will continue my search,i am living region here and we dont have much used parts anymore,they all clean their backyard because of regulations.

thanks anyway the help is appreciated

gervais

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197798#p197798:1muen8tb said:
dan filipi » 51 minutes ago[/url]":1muen8tb]
We have specs in the gallery if you need to have one made. It's for a 4" diameter pulley and serpentine belt.

gallery/album.php?album_id=10226

to bad for me,
i dont see any "link" too download this document,
the shematic and the pulley

maybe my eye are not enough opened ! :)

Gervais

[email protected]
if you can send them direct at me someone

thanks