EFI to carbs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvjoiner

Reaction score
I have a 87 gl1200 can a EFI motor be converts to a carb motor otherwise can I take the EFI off and replace it my carbs of my old engine

:popcorn: I wasn't aware they even offered EFI on an 87 model, thought EFI was dropped until it came out later on the 1500's. I was only aware of EFI on the 85 LTD and the 86 SEi models. Learn something new everyday. :smilie_happy:

Can I ask why you want to dump the fuel injection? The carbs are great when they are spot on but are pretty high maintenance. I thought the EFI systems were much better.

The basic engine is the same, either EFI or carbureted. As slabghost stated, use the carb fuel pump!! You 'll also need to change the pulse generator under the timing belt covers, and plug the coolant tubes at the water pump cover and thermostat housing. There is no choke (enricher) cable on an EFI system. You won't need the cam position sensors, so you'll have an extra wire from that. The EFI engine also has an oil pressure sender, an oil pressure switch, and an oil temperature sender. Only the switch will be used on a carbureted bike, and it's mounted at the rear of the engine instead of on top, so that needs to be addressed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you're wanting to put an engine from an EFI bike into your '87, which is carbureted...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137403#p137403:396k42yi said:
Steve83 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:30 pm[/url]":396k42yi]
The basic engine is the same, either EFI or carbureted. As slabghost stated, use the carb fuel pump!! You 'll also need to change the pulse generator under the timing belt covers, and plug the coolant tubes at the water pump cover and thermostat housing. There is no choke (enricher) cable on an EFI system. You won't need the cam position sensors, so you'll have an extra wire from that. The EFI engine also has an oil pressure sender, an oil pressure switch, and an oil temperature sender. Only the switch will be used on a carbureted bike, and it's mounted at the rear of the engine instead of on top, so that needs to be addressed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you're wanting to put an engine from an EFI bike into your '87, which is carbureted...

Your right, have a line on a EFI motor need to replace my old motor on my 87 gl1200

Don't trash the fuel injection parts. Some here may want them. You might even want to make that 87 injected.

Latest posts