Handlebar Adjustment

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusknight

Reaction score
I find that my GL1200 handle bars feel a bit low and I want to raise them up just a bit. Seems obviously simple, but are there any rules of thumb about doing this?

Rule of thumb for the bars is simple. Position them to where you are most comfortable. Sometimes all it takes is to twist them forward or back. Getting the right angle for your hand and wrist comfort is the big thing for many. Others need to position for shoulder comfort. Risers can be had in straight up style or set back style to give you more options. Then there is always the option to change bars to a style better suited to you. Big thing is make it fit your needs.

I succeeded in adjusting the handlebars and raised them up. In doing so I find that the brake and clutch levers are a bit low. It looks like you can loosen the bolts that hold them together and adjust them relative to the handle bar. Is that something that is commonly done?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147740#p147740:28ssjm4v said:
marcusknight » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:23 pm[/url]":28ssjm4v]
I succeeded in adjusting the handlebars and raised them up. In doing so I find that the brake and clutch levers are a bit low. It looks like you can loosen the bolts that hold them together and adjust them relative to the handle bar. Is that something that is commonly done?

Adjust them so they are comfortable to you. The top bolt holds them together and the bottom bolt actually tightens it to the bar.

After the adjustment just snug up the top bolt. Then torque the bottom bolt to whatever the book says. I wanna say it was like 12ftlbs or so. Just use a hand feel if you dont have a torque wrench. But bottom bolt only after the top bolt.