1500 desides to stop mid-turn then electrical burn smell

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiptap

Reaction score
Monday I decide to take the bike down to the store to pick up things and on my way back home on a busy street in the middle of a left hand turn the engine cut-off, I try to quickly restart and then electrical burn smell. I roll to a stop, I decide to push it up onto the sidewalk. I try to restart, but just a solenoid click. I figure I best get it in a parking lot so I push her down the sidewalk and see its all downhill from there. It then occurs to me pop the clutch in gear while rolling downhill and she fires back up, hurray. I driver her back home, put a charger on the battery and call it a night. I check her out in the morning, nothing but click. So I guess I'm looking at a starter in some shape or form, but better yet, I figure that someone out there has potentially had this experience, or has good advise, so here I am. I'm not discouraged, not in the least, just looking for and explanation and some advise. I am however fiending to get back riding. Paul

Starter may be part of it but why it just stopped while riding may be something else, i`m not familiar with the 1500 but hopefully you can get some advise, kinda sounds like a short.

+1 on the burning smell.
Is it possible that the starter stayed in mesh with a solenoid fault ( you should of heard it running) ? You need to track down the source of the burning smell which should be visable and also pungent. Good luck with your search.

Look closely at the battery cables and connections at both ends. Look for any scorch insulation or arced connections.

Well tried the screwdriver cross the relay deal, nothing. Decided to pull the starter. Pulled the starter and long story short there is a wire burnt or hole where the wire used to be in the armature, see photo, and the wire swelled up in the sleeve with the magnets and prevented it from moving as well. One of the brushes was chipped and chipped brass laying around in the cap where the brush dust collects. I guess that would account for the no start. Now to figure out why it cut power in the first place I guess.

Just few questions...

1. Since this is my first shaft driven cycle and/or Goldwing; do you hear any gear type noise at all, and/or how would I know if that is normal?
2. Would the starter being accidently on, or rather locked engaged be so overwhelming, noise wise, that there would be no mistake that something is wrong while the bike is running? i.e. under 35 mph
4. And if the starter being accidently on was subtle how long could that go one before "smoke". I know tough question but if it went on for a second or so while turning I may have missed it.

I just remember the chain of events like this;

1. start warm bike fine a store
2. normal stop/go 35mph drive for 3-5 mins or so
3. wait at stop light
4. turning left and at apex engine cuts out (fog of war sets in at this point, my best recollection)
5. power loss on gauges
6. clutch is pulled in and very quickly starter button applied
7. starter flutter sound, no start, followed by electrical burn smell (followed by other smell as shorts are stained at this point)
8. bike comes to stop

OK lots of possibilities at this point, I wasn't filming it so I cant really remember but I think bike got power back at this point on its own else I turned the key off and then on (I cant recall)

9. attempt to get bike in neutral but bike acts like just turned on dash indicator lights coming up so cant tell (gets foggy here)
10. bike possibly confused over reverse and neutral while trying to get bike in neutral (if this really happened, it happened for about a second or so) else lights were coming on and reverse just happened to light up but I remember struggling to get a neutral light, may have had it in first and flopped to second who knows. (all I know is brown skid marks at this point)

10. bike on center stand on sidewalk, key turned on, all functions normal, starter button depressed, just a click (like and elevator, lets press it a few more times maybe it will go faster) nope.
11. see a downward slope, pop clutch in first, rolling start, drive bike home all functions appear to be normal
12. get home, shut bike off, try starter <ya who I'm I kidding
13. put charger on bike
14. next morning try all the stops, jump start, screw driver, etc... nothing
15. pull starter (and wash shorts)
16. open starter up discover frozen armature and burnt wire
17. post on CGW forum (at least I got #17 correct)

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    579.8 KB · Views: 290
That is a picture of an armature that has been motored until destruction, brushes should be pretty fatigued as well. :(

Yeah, while you're buying a new starter, make sure you find a new solenoid and insure all wiring from battery to solenoid to starter (the fat ones) is not melted or damaged. Also, confirm a solid 12V signal getting to the solenoid from the start switch (button).

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179504#p179504:f0x1ocr1 said:
desertrefugee » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:10 am[/url]":f0x1ocr1]
Yeah, while you're buying a new starter, make sure you find a new solenoid and insure all wiring from battery to solenoid to starter (the fat ones) is not melted or damaged. Also, confirm a solid 12V signal getting to the solenoid from the start switch (button).
Also check the reversing circuit as it may of caused a fault.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=179509#p179509:320u0coc said:
Ansimp » Today, 8:09 pm[/url]":320u0coc]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179504#p179504:320u0coc said:
desertrefugee » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:10 am[/url]":320u0coc]
Also check the reversing circuit as it may of caused a fault.

Rodger that, fat wires all look good, nothing smoked but the starter.

Reversing circuit, sounds like a blast...

Thanks all

Paul

OK replaced the "reverse solenoid"?, its the one with the wire attached to it with a white plug, and we are up and running like nothing happened.

However, now I hear every little noise coming from the engine. Since this Goldwing is used and I never had one to compare to, every little whining noise seem like a tragedy waiting to strike.
How do I know if the starter is not stuck or if its spinning while driving.
or better yet, there is a whining noise that only happens when you apply throttle. When just cruising at a constant speed it seems to dissipate/quite down. If I pull in the clutch when rolling it disappears.

I know this is all vague but since I don't know what a GL1500 is supposta sound like with high mileage 150k <if that's high, I don't know what is normal or not.

Best thing with OleWings is if it aint broke/quit dont worry be happy :BigGrin: Them noise's you hear are just Personality Bro. Learn to love it is my advice.

There is a certain whine that is normal and disappears with the clutch and certain engine speed. More than likely it is normal. I noticed in the service history of Val ( an Oldwing (19 years old) GL1500c "VALKYRIE")) the PO had Honda chasing a noise that was classified as normal. As biker Joe said it is more than likely just Personality! :smilie_happy:
:moped: :good: :good: :moped:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180251#p180251:2xir8g58 said:
Omega Man » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:52 am[/url]":2xir8g58]
I play the stereo loudly :BigGrin: and the noises go away.

~O~

Not those noise in your head though Randy!! :smilie_happy:

:BigGrin: Actually its tha primary chain and gears. I love tha sound makes her sound Evil :BigGrin: