Valkyrie cruising pegs install

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
I have wanted some cruising pegs for Val ever since I first rode her. Unfortunately I couldn't justify the cost of Kuryaken pegs with the week au $ so it was trusty Chinese copies instead. I also wanted to change the genuine front pegs as I keep scraping my shins on the steel under plate when I am maneuvering and it also grabs my work boot when I go to place my dodgy left foot on the ground ( need hip replacement :( ). I ended up using 2 different ebay suppliers for the two sets of pegs which came in at just under $150 aud.

To get the RH peg pivot bolt out I had to undo the rear brake MC so that I could maneuver it out of the way. If you remove the rear brake pedal as well it would make the job easier but I wanted to get it finished as quickly as possible.

The pegs have a through bolt so that you can adjust the angle so I made sure that I used locktight on the threads.

I have attached the cruising peg brackets to the rear crash bar support. I had to supply some additional washers to be happy with the install as the 1/2 bolt was digging into the clamp bracket and the peg pivot bracket needs shimming, as they are too loose and fall down while riding.

Sorry about the tools in the background as most times I forget to take photos, so messy photos are better than.. :useless:
:smilie_happy:

They feel really good Gerry. The cruising pegs are lower than I would of liked but I didn't want to make the bike any wider than the crash bars when they are folded up. My calf gets a little warm on the rocker cover without my riding boots on but if I put my feet out wider it is not an issue. As well as not wanting the bike to be any wider I wanted the pegs mounted in such a way that they don't damage the rocker covers etc.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179596#p179596:3tlpkzqs said:
Omega Man » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:26 pm[/url]":3tlpkzqs]
Nice addition Tony. Your excitement for the Valk rivals that which you had for the rats nest. :cool:

~O~

I don't know if it is a new thing or a pretty thing but I am enjoying Val immensely. I think that I also want it to do as many things as well as what the Rats Nest does. The other morning it was a bit fresh ( cool ) and I questioned why I was riding Val with cold hands and blue lips ( helmet vent), when if I had taken the Rats Nest it wouldn't be an issue when protected by the windjammer.
I think the sound of the 6 certainly influences my decision and it also stops pretty well considering its weigh, did I mention it is really easy on the eyes. :smilie_happy:

Valkyries feel huge at first don't they? The tank is a mile long and fatter than you are used to. Everything about them is big but they handle so well . I like the way you have to kind of push it into a corner but once there it'll hold like a sport bike. Those big old tires have yet to let go of the road even with a few peg grinders. I added progressive fork springs and air shocks to mine along with Baker air wings. My wife and I are a load when we're 2 up but that's all I've done to it. Checked the valve lash a couple of times but have yet to need adjustments.But it sure is a lot of chrome to keep after. I love the gearbox too. It has 5 speeds but it could get by with 3 with all that torque. I made a set of mini floorboards for mine because when I got it there was no aftermarket adjustable ones for it. At least for my short legged self.

I haven't ridden it for 3 days now, so I think an outing is definitely on the cards for tomorrow. :yes:
:moped: :good:

Discussing Valkyries around here almost (almost) seems selfish. But, then the charter "does" mention 4 and "6" cylinder "Goldwings". So, I reckon we get a buy. In fact, the love of the Goldwing flat design is what triggers one to also ride these Phat Gurls. And they do get into your blood. When I say I won't be buying another bike, I mean it. I truly don't think anything could replace my Valk.

As to cruising pegs or "highway pegs" as we more often call them in the states, I actually lucked into a very nice set of harley pegs on a trade. As you all know, Harley chrome is among the deepest and best out there. Chrome is important for safety and increased horsepower. So, here are mine.

You can also see the Viking exhaust system that I truly got lucky and found. I have a pair of exhaust shields coming that will cover the collectors. I recently found out that the Vikings are made to accept the factory shields. More chrome.

Important for safety and horsepower, you know.

Attachments

• IMG_4046.JPG
    IMG_4046.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_4045.JPG
    IMG_4045.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 242
Love the cruising pegs but I reckon that was just an excuse to show off all your extra other chrome pieces! :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179958#p179958:es9q64td said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:33 am[/url]":es9q64td]
Important for safety and horsepower, you know.

Chrome adds at least 20% horsepower when properly cleaned right? :smilie_happy:
I wouldn't know. I'm allergic to polishing. :roll:

There are definitely two schools of thought. I know this is straying off topic. I'll take the blame. While I have never fancied myself a "polisher", I have always kept a tidy machine. Even the "beaters" were clean - unless they leaked oil faster than I could keep up. I had a few British bikes that tested my nerves in that regard. I definitely consider myself a "rider".

But take the darned Valkyrie. Off the assembly line, it is already slathered in chrome. Add another bit or two here and there and you end up with a LOT of chrome. Kinda fun actually. And I'll tell you this, chrome is EASY to keep clean. Far easier than paint or aluminum.

Windex is my friend.

But, if I had the option on which I'd do, polish or ride, I would hope not to have to proclaim what my preference would be. Unless it's raining.

Latest posts