'94 1500...input needed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
So....my '81 may be up on the chopping block, and I have located a nice looking, low mile '94 1500 for what I assume is a good price. I'm s'posed to go check it out Saturday. I saw the info in my other thread about the possible trans shift fork issues, but....is there anything else about one of these things that I should check, or be concerned aboot? I realize it's a larger bike, of course, but assume it rides/handles as well as my '81...prolly mooch better.
Are they more or less dependable than the 1100s?
The feller is askin $3,400, and in the pics, it LOOKS really nice.
NADA has it listed as:
Excellent-- $8,655
Very Good:-- $5,625
Good:-- $2,620

What questions should I ask the guy aboot it, other than the usual stuff aboot timing belts, oil changes, etc? I asked if he knew of any issue with it, and of course he said there were absolutely no problems with it, that it was a nice bike, and ran/rode really well.
I know there's a lot of youse guys that have, or have had 1500s, so I'm kinda depending on ya'll steer me straight with as much info/leverage I can get when I go check it out. :yes: :BigGrin:

Frame,intake and body work are all very different from the Valk. But if it runs as nice it's a real gem. I'm sure the valk and wing handle much differently but I've not yet had the opportunity to ride a 1500 wing.

the trans issue seems to be it ..other than that id say say there the big dogs on the wing line ...id say handling is ok but not as nimble as 1100 is .....you dont here much of carb issues with them ...there mostly related to SCC set up ...and design that way ...id say there the true road dog of wings in honda stock form of wings made to me

The dressed 1500 I rode part way from Illinois to Indiana, the other part on his dressed 83 1100. Both bikes in very nice condition. The 1500 pulling a trailer without a doubt handled better, rode nicer, smoother and quieter with more power. You won't be disappointed.

Ask, "How hard is it to change the tires?" :hihihi: :doh:

I'm sorry.....I didn't say that did I? :oops: (Just kidding, it looks like a great bike!!) :yes: :moped:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
The Valkyrie is a much longer bike and feels like it. Slow speed manoveuring is much easier on the Rats Nest and it really feels more nimble, if only it would stop better. The power and brakes are great on Val but I am riding the Rats Nest ATM and loving every minute. After riding Val getting back on the Rats Nest felt like I was on a small bike with a big windscreen. The transition almost reminds me of going from the gl1100 to the CBR ( except the CBR has more brakes and power :yes: )

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182511#p182511:496fnhzp said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:06 pm[/url]":496fnhzp]
Ask, "How hard is it to change the tires?" :hihihi: :doh:

:rant: :sensored: You SUCK!!! :rant:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

I don't think the tires are Joel's problem, I just think he needs better roads to ride. :yes:

Youse guys.....jeeeeez... :Doh2: :smilie_happy:

Mama okayed the deal on the '94 GL1500! :yahoo: :clapping: Assuming I like what I see, and it rides/checks out otay Saturday, I'll be bringin that bad boy home! :yes:
I still need to do a little more research on them...the 6 cylinders are out of my wheelhouse, as far as equipment, and such.
I'm assuming that it has an external, "normal" alternator, correct?
Does it have as much, or more storage room than the '81?

Pretty sure alternator is not what you'd call normal. No belt going to it. It's direct drive and hard mounted to the motor. Electrically yes it's "normal". Probably more storage is my guess. I've only seen two so far.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182531#p182531:zzi62poq said:
AApple » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:11 pm[/url]":zzi62poq]
Youse guys.....jeeeeez... :Doh2: :smilie_happy:

Mama okayed the deal on the '94 GL1500! :yahoo: :clapping: Assuming I like what I see, and it rides/checks out otay Saturday, I'll be bringin that bad boy home! :yes:
I still need to do a little more research on them...the 6 cylinders are out of my wheelhouse, as far as equipment, and such.
I'm assuming that it has an external, "normal" alternator, correct?
Does it have as much, or more storage room than the '81?
Randy seems really happy with his upgrade to Crystal. :good:

Good thing you know how to shift a 2 speed gearbox Randy!
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

run the vin to see if the bank angle sensor is good, my '93 had a recall on it but I'm not sure if '94's did
make sure it has reverse, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it on a 1500 wing

Thanks William!
I plan on checking the VIN against the title. As far as the bank angle sensor, I'll hafta cross that bridge when I come to it, since I have no clue how to check if it was a recall item or not. I'll definitely be making sure reverse works!

And.....just in case this deal doesn't go as planned(and I don't have any reason to think it won't), lookie what else I found....in the same area! More 'spensive, but just as nice, and comes with a lot of extra stuff. Don't think I could talk Mama into spendin that much....but who knows? :hihihi:
I also found one right in my neighborhood, but it's an '89, and doesn't run unless the choke is on.....after having the carbs rebuilt. That would have to be a "bottom of the barrel" buy right there.