Sneak Peek!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
I am now the proud owner of a '96 GL1500!! :yahoo: :yes:
As usual, anything to do with me has to have problems associated, but it all werked out, and I brought this baby home. Not my first(or second...or tenth) choice of color(Pearl Sierra Green), but it's growin on me.
Just a few pics until tomorrow, when I can get it back out and play with it some. I will say, it FEELS so much smaller than the 1100....it felt like ridin a mini-bike.
Thanks for all the opinions/ideas/encouragement fellers! :thanks: :salute:

Only 39,000 miles...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182789#p182789:344p915t said:
brianinpa » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:06 pm[/url]":344p915t]
I hope you checked the tires really good. :shock:
:smilie_happy:

REALLY?!? Ya had to go there?! :cheeky: :cheeky:
:hihihi:

desertrefugee":344p915t said:
"Smaller" than the 1100? Is that said jokingly?

No...it really does "feel" smaller to me. It's prolly 'cause it sits lower, and has a smaller front tire, but it just doesn't feel as heavy as the 1100.

Thanks guys...I think I'll like it. It's definitely got more "uumph", and it's soooo much smoother. It's got some flaws, of course, but nothing that was a deal breaker. I wasn't sure it was gunna work out tho. He was washing it when we got there, and had a battery charger hooked up....not a good sign. It wouldn't start...just cranked a little, then batt was dead. He wound up taking the batt off his '97 SE to put on it, and it fired right up. Then the brake lights dint work, so we had to fix a brake switch. Rear brake pedal is soft. He said he's bled it many times....but I had to tell him the pedal also works one of the FRONT calipers. He gave me one of these looks... :shock: :shock:
I took it for a spin, and really liked it. I can take my hands off the bars, and it runs straight, with no wobble....totally unlike my 1100.
Couple of things do bother me...the throttle is a LOT tougher to twist, and the clutch lever is also much stiffer, both of which make taking off a little bit of a challenge. Of course, since it IS me, we had to hit a major traffic snarl coming home...for aboot 30 minutes....stop/go/stop/go. :Awe: I found I can take off without even adding any throttle, smooth as glass. :clapping:

It does not have driver floorboards/heel-toe. I been riding the Turd for 8 years with both, so my natural inclination is to take off, and put my feets up on the hiway pegs, then hit the heel-toe to shift. I can't do that now, and it's strange for me to use a "normal" shift lever....I'm having trouble finding it, and I don't think my fat boots are gunna be able to get under the shift lever. We shall see. He did give me a brand new heel/toe shift setup tho, so I'll be puttin it on eventually.
It doesn't have the on-board air compressor, but he did give me a complete factory setup for it, including the switch panel, TWO compressors, and lines, but no gauge.
Also gave me a new CB setup, which I'll prolly not use.
It has an oversized windersheild, which is kewl for keeping the airflow smooth, BUT....I keep bangin my dang noggin on it gettin of/off the bike. :head bang:
Also came with a NEW seat, but I dint see anything wrong with the one that's on it, other than it is not bolted down. Got a new Markland driver backrest too, but I need to find bolts to attach it AND the seat....he dint have those....he figured they were lost, since he's in the process of moving.
Got a box full of electronics for the audio/headsets...cables, ear pieces, etc., plus two HCJ helmets, wing vents, and some new tail lights and grab bars for an 1800...which are for sale...wink wink.

Today I'm gunna get the brake issue looked at, and do some cleanin/familiarization, and try to get the seat/backrest attached. I'll have to take it next weekend for inspection, then get the title work done. After that, I'll be able to ride it. I've got both of them crammed in the garage right now, but one of them will have to go to the back deck, 'cause I can't leave the both in the garage...it's a tight fit, with the Turd up against the toolbox, and the Green Goblin right up next to the '74 Corvette. I can't ever walk around them, much less do any work.

Anyway, it's a done deal. Thanks guys!

've got both of them crammed in the garage right now, but one of them will have to go to the back deck, 'cause I can't leave the both in the garage...it's a tight fit, with the Turd up against the toolbox, and the Green Goblin right up next to the '74 Corvette. I can't ever walk around them, much less do any work.

It's always exciting to have a new girl in the garage. I pretty much always have crowded quarters in there. I commonly roll one out under the shade tree to give me some space. However, I recently parked my camper van by the side of the house and have luxurious space now.

...but to do that head gasket, something will have to give, for sure.

:thanks: ...it's an Innerstate. :yes:

I gots a few mo pics today. Got the brakes bled properly, so now the rear pedal actually does something besides falling to the ground.
Checked the air in the tires... :shock: :shock: Rear tire had 20psi.... :shock: Front had 22psi. Also checked the air in the rear shock(s)....nada...nuttin. So I put 35 psi int he shock(s), 40psi in the rear tire, and 35 psi in the front. It felt a little squirmy yesterday on the way home...now I know why.
The rear tire is in excellent condition, fairly new. Front tire, however...looks kinda new but has cracks around the bead. Not gud. Got a new front tire coming.
I'll start a new thread for all the tech questions I have...there are quite a few. The color is growin on me a little at a time..heck, it's the same dam color as my werk Cad.
Did some cleanin/polishin here and there, and it appears that it will spiff up real nice, once I have time to really spend cleanin...which will prolly be this winter. I plan on ridin until it gets too cold. Got to go next weekend to get it inspected, then tags next Monday...then RIDE!

It's a TIGHT skweeeeze to get both of them in there....and a little tricky to get the Turd out to ride tomorrow.

Oh...and this one should go in the "Member's Rides" rotation...hint-hint Dan.... :whistling:

Shure is purdy, looks like those kind of chrome grips you can buy a wrist paddle for..might help with the stiffer throttle if it isn't the cables fault.