"Nanny" sticker removal from Val

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
Darrell and Denver both encouraged me to use the heat gun to remove the 20year old "nanny " stickers from Vals tank.
I have a suspicion that they both neglected to tell me what a pita this job was going to be. Heat gun worked a treat on removing the stickers, I even felt guilty about removing the "pretty" unleaded only sticker but as there is no longer leaded fuel available it made sense. As it turned out that was the only pain free sticker to remove as the two white ones left glue behind that was twice the thickness of the stickers. I tried WD40, eucalyptus oil and a petroleum base aerosol degreaser ( which removed old window tinting glue really well) with heaps of effort and the heat gun. I finally ended up scraping it off with my thumb nail and the eucalyptus oil between applications after browning the glue off with the heat gun. Now that is is finally done I couldn't me more satisfied with the final look I just can't believe what a PITA it was to do. :head bang:
:thanks: guys, I think... :salute: :doh:

I don't know Tony....I kinda liked the balance the stickers gave your tank, maybe you out to try getting some new ones and putting them back on?... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184189#p184189:2d2wi5o5 said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:53 am[/url]":2d2wi5o5]
I don't know Tony....I kinda liked the balance the stickers gave your tank, maybe you out to try getting some new ones and putting them back on?... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
No wonder I drink Gerry! :beer:

I did the same on the '82 Wineberry, only to find out that the paint had faded...everywhere but under the decal! Oh well, it still looked better than the warning label.

Luckily the paint was nice and healthy and I can't see any signs of where the stickers were. :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184197#p184197:21kidxtx said:
Steve83 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:23 pm[/url]":21kidxtx]
It looks great! With its good radiator, I hope it gives you years of trouble-free service!
:thanks: Steve. :good:

That looks way better, Tony. Sorry it was such a PIA but the results are well worth it.

I have to admit that you struck a nerve with me. I cannot stand all of the factory nanny stickers that are to be found on motorcycles. They spoil the clean look. On four-cylinder gold wings – especially those that of been customized, one of my pet peeve's are the stickers on the frame. To me, nothing looks worse than a nicely customized early Gold wing with the sticker by the rear master cylinder on the frame. Or the one on the fan shroud on the left-hand side.

We won't even talk about Valkyries with the tank stickers still in place...