94 Goldwing SE or 2000 K1200lt?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmopars

Reaction score
So, a while back I had a 1982 Goldwing, then I traded it in on a BMW K1200lt. My wife would ride on either bike and seemed fine with them. Then I got a KLR 650 and rode it for a while along with the BMW. I then decided to trade the BMW in and sell the KLR to get a 2015 CB500X. I have now converted the CB500X to a Rally Raid level 2 for off road/Adventure riding. However, my wife can not get on it now as its too tall. I love this bike, but miss being able to have my wife ride with me. So, I am looking into getting a second bike again.
I went to the Honda dealer I got my CB500X from, and they have a 1994 Goldwing SE with 94K miles on it for $2999. It is my wife's favorite color, burgundy.
Well I went to the web site after I got home to get some details I had forgotten and found out that they have my 2000 BMW K1200LT still listed on their site.
Now I am confused. I loved the BMW, it has 68K miles and it is Burgundy also. I also know the complete history of that bike because it was mine. I stripped it down to the frame almost to put in a new clutch, I still have a few extra parts that I bought but never installed. I even did the Iron Butt on that bike. They have it listed for $2500. (I paid $5200 several years ago)
I am so confused, I like them both, but can only buy one. The Goldwing has more miles and is $500 more, but it is a Goldwing and parts are a little cheaper and easier to get. The BMW is newer, lower miles and I know the bike well. However, its a BMW and I know the prices well.
The BMW has all the options that the Goldwing has, plus several more. The GW has no heated seats, the BMW does. The GW has no adjustable windscreen, the BMW does. The BMW was so nimble, comfortable and smooth. My 82 GW was good, I would assume the 94 is better.
What do I do? I don't need 3 bikes.

You might want to look for a low mileage 84-87 Goldwing. By your own words it seems the BMW is the better value. We are a bit partial to the goldwings here.

Well its not just the better value, the BMW stirs a passion in me that the GW just does not do. I am not a fan of the 1200 GWs(no offence). That BMW was like a magic carpet ride. I know it needs a new front coil-over shock, but I have one I never gave them(new). Even now, just thinking about that bike is raising my heart rate. I think I may have to go get my baby back. I must be just a little crazy. :Awe:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185748#p185748:6wai1u6k said:
oldmopars » Yesterday, 10:29 pm[/url]":6wai1u6k]
Well its not just the better value, the BMW stirs a passion in me that the GW just does not do. I am not a fan of the 1200 GWs(no offence). That BMW was like a magic carpet ride. I know it needs a new front coil-over shock, but I have one I never gave them(new). Even now, just thinking about that bike is raising my heart rate. I think I may have to go get my baby back. I must be just a little crazy. :Awe:
Always go with what speaks to you. That's why I had to go online to find others who are as in love with their OldWing as I am. I've taken my fair share of ribbing about my old, eccentric ride. If the BMW stirs that passion, that's the way to go.

The BMW has reverse also. Flip a lever, hit the starter button and she backs up.
Now the only this is to see if the dealer still has it. It is up on their site, but I did not see it out. I think it is because they think it has issues. They just don't know K bikes. If you park any K bike on its side stand for more than a few days, when you start it up it will smoke like a chimney. So, I bet they think the engine is bad and are keeping it out of site. But I know this is just a flaw with all BMW K bikes and nothing to worry about. So, I may be able to talk them way down if I play off what they "Think" is wrong with it. :Egyptian: