Auto Fuel Valve Rebuild

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
I got a rebuild kit for my "Auto Fuel Valve"(petcock) on the 1500. It's leaking, and from what I can gather from other 1500 owners, that can really mess with your fuel mileage, even tho mine doesn't appear to leaking a lot. It does keep the drain box around the fuel cap wet, tho. I guess I'll be digging into that this weekend, assuming we don't end up in the land of OZ....tornaders are spinning quite a bit in the area and to the north.....we shall see. :whistling:

Fuel valve rebuild went fairly painlessly. Took longer to get to it to remove it than the actual rebuild....sound familiar? :head bang:
It was definitely leaking....the rubber was a bit stiff, and had some small cracks, but no full tears that I could see. The kit I got came with new screws, and a new spring, but the spring was far too light in tension for my liking, so I reused the original spring.
Once back together, I fired it up and let it run for quite a while, to make sure it was actually still working, and there were no leaks. So far so good on both fronts there. Hopefully, when I get to the shop tomorrow, I won't see any raw fuel standing down in the fuel overflow catch....fingers crossed. :beg: :mrgreen:
Pics in my album...

Did you eliminate yours, Randy? I thought aboot doing that, but was afeered of pressure in the tank flooding the carbs....

btw...I can do a more detailed write-up on doing the valve.....I was tard, and really dint have the time at the time to do much more....and some of the pics I tool dint quite turn out very well. :blush: