Windershield issues

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Question for the 1500 owners out there with a taller than stock windershield, specifically a Tulsa tall. I recently had to replace the Tulsa shield on my 1500 due to a brain fart(don't ask), and got a Slipstreamer to replace it. I have noticed the Slipstreamer seems to flex a LOT while riding(I ride in the 70-80mph range on the road)....I never noticed that with the Tulsa shield. I adjusted the new shield all the way up originally, since that's how the old one was, but wind buffeting would push my head forward when wearing my helmet(3/4). I accused Mama of pushing on my head, but....it does it when riding solo too, so...I had to apologize :blush: . This past weekend, I lowered the Slipstreamer all the way DOWN, and that has help with the buffeting, but not much help for the flexing. So...my question is, how thick is the Tulsa shield? I have already disposed of what was left of my old one, so I can't measure it, but the Slipstreamer is .170" thick, top to bottom. I have The Turd(1100I) here at the shop too, so I measured the original Honda shield on it, and it measures .178" thick. I'm wondering if the Tulsa shield is a lot thicker, or if it is made of a better plastic than the Slipstreamer? The flexing at speed is just distracting, and a little bit disconcerting, too. Can some of youse guys/gals do some measuring for me? I'm really curious now..... :thanks:

Maybe your old one was Plexiglas and your new one is lexan, I know my stock shield is lexan and it flexes quit a bit..kinda annoying I know...sorry I cant help with the measurement..you know what I have.
By the way it will say lexan on it if that`s what it is.