Val finally getting a new front tyre

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
I finally made time to get the front wheel off Val so that I could strip the clear, get the rim polished and have the new Shinko 150/80x17 230 fitted. As I was working at AMA in Springwood today I could get the tyre stripped before I went there. I was able to get their polisher to polish my rim so that I could pop out at lunch time and get the new Shinko fitted.
Val on the ATV lift strapped on as usual and rock solid even with the front wheel off.
I used my right angle die grinder with poly wheels to remove the clear cote. The green one works best but is a lot slower than the brown ones but you need to be gentle otherwise it can scratch the alloy.
I was only expecting the outer rim (bead area) to be polished but as I had everything out of the way Mark polished the whole rim. :good:

They seem really strong as well. :good:
I will get some photos up with the dressed rim with the new tyre on tomorrow hopefully.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192829#p192829:mexikjor said:
desertrefugee » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:15 am[/url]":mexikjor]
Man, I love the look of a polished Valk wheel. You're a bad influence, Tony.
My own bad influence! :smilie_happy:
Now I will have to clean the rear tyre and polish up the brake and clutch master cylinders. Also there is the bit where I need to install the new radiator and put the guard and chrome tank trims back on. :doh:
When all I really want to do is go riding on my new tyres.. :yes: :moped: :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192901#p192901:3fokzh29 said:
backlander » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:49 pm[/url]":3fokzh29]
Looking good Tony !!
Thanks Mike.
How good would that 150/80 x 17 look on the back of the Rats Nest? :smilie_happy: