JIMMINY KRICKET!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
:rant: :Awe:

There I wuz, riding along on my way home, mindin my own gd bidness, and I hear this noise...a pop. A few seconds later, I hears another pop, and I kinda see something go off to the left of me. Not sure what the heck it was, or if it even belonged to me in the first place, but.....I had my suspicions. I get home, and.....shur-nuff.....I'm missing the left rotor cover....and the dang fender side cover. :sensored: :sensored:
Rotor cover exploded(first pop), and then what was left of it took the fender cover off(2nd pop)....dammit. The chrome covers I can get no problem, and I knew the ones on the bike were "iffy" at best....the tabs/holes for the fasteners were a bit wallered out on both of them when I bought the bike. So...there's a $100 out the winder. I got my eyeholes on a "BIN" new set. :beg: I needed new rotor covers anyway, since they were ready to fly/fall off to start with , and the chrome was startin to get kinda pitted.
The real problem is the fender cover...in Peal Sierra Green. Don't see much of anything in that color. I did see a "teal" one for the right side on fleabay, but it came off a '94 model. Not sure if it's the same color, and it's the wrong side anyway.
I'm gunna try to ride/walk on the shoulder of the road on the way home tomorrow and see if I can at least find that dang fender cover. I got a pretty good idea of the area it flew off in. I was in the far left lane, too. Just gunna depend on traffic, and how dang hot it is tomorrow afternoon. If I can locate that, I'll be happy....assuming a Kenworth hasn't flattened it

I also somehow managed to loose the right side panel "Goldwing" script, and the eagle emblem, some time ago. Those items weren't really bothering me, since they're not really all that noticeable.

This plastic crap is startin to get on my nerves..... :fiddle:

if it makes you feel better about five years ago I lost my left rotor cover on my way over to my mom's. I ordered a set of new style rotor covers and ring of fire. about the same time the following year I lost the right side rotor cover coming home from a friends house so now I have an old style rotor cover on the right and a new style rotor cover on the left, most don't even notice

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194443#p194443:3divqdb6 said:
julimike54 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 pm[/url]":3divqdb6]
Good luck with the hunt!
+1
And stay hydrated... :salute:

Sorry William, but it doesn't make me feel any better....but thanks for trying..... :smilie_happy:

I have the rotor covers ordered, the newer style('98-2000). Just gotta find the fender cover in my particular paint color. I can get a set of new chrome ones, but I don't wanna put any more chrome on this thing than it has now. I think the color, and the amount of chrome it does have are a perfect combo.....just the right amount of bling. I may have to go that route if I cannot find my original cover, or the right colored one on fleabay.

Well, son-of-a-b :sensored: h!! Look what just got listed!!! If this was from a seller in Texas, I would think someone found mine..... :smilie_happy:

I like the look the 1500 has without rotor covers! Some sportier and more like a bike instead of a ship. I wouldn't put them again. Maybe also cooler hard braking [emoji106]

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194471#p194471:1in614rl said:
desertrefugee » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:13 pm[/url]":1in614rl]
Right after you hit the BIN button, you'll go walk the road where yours flew and find it. Then you'll have two! How lucky is that?

Ya...that's possible. I DID find the rotor cover...or what's left of it, anyway. :shock:

All 3 of the attaching points were broken. I knew the front one was, so it dint have a bolt in it. I'm assuming that's what allowed air to get behind it and flip it off....of course, I'm sure that speed had NOTHING to do with it.... :blush:

Did NOT find the fender cover piece, tho. However....I may not have gone far enough down the road for it. I got mixed up on the road signs. I'll look again tomorrow evening on the way home, but I did order the one on fleabay anyway. It's a rare color, so having a spare wouldn't hurt. I did find one IN STOCK in that color at a Honda dealer...for $134!! Pass.... :doh:

Nice shiny new rotor covers showed up yesterday....fender cover will be there when I get home this evenin. :clapping:

Apparently, this bike already HAD the newer style rotor covers... :doh:

I'll get it all put on this weekend, assuming nothing else falls off between now and then. :smilie_happy:

Got the new stuff installed, some yesterday, some today. Brand new shiny stuff sure makes the rest of the bike look sad.... :smilie_happy:

I did find something rather alarming in the process. I started a thread a while back aboot my front brake going soft ONLY while backing up. For some reason, I kept thinking it had something to do with the anti-dive mechanism, but couldn't really explain how. I may have found the problem.... :shock:

Don't know how it managed to back out, or when, but one of the bolts for the caliper bracket was missing on the right side(front brake lever only). Can't explain either why the front brake worked fine forward, but got mooshy when backing up. I installed a new bolt, with a smidge of lock-tite. Guess I need to keep an eye on it for a while, just in case.... :beg:

Looks like only one pot could push in the pads that way. Yep I think that bolt loss is cause of both issues.
Oh you might want to check the brake pads are flat. Long enough like that they probably aren't.